Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mimosa Natural Edge

Fine looking NE bowl, Glenn !!
    Beautiful wood too, where do you find it?

Very nicely done Glenn.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

That timber is amazing, but the shape is a detraction....the grain is fancy, so don't do a fancy shape, let the wood do the talking...

Love it otherwise!!
    JMHO,
    Joash
    Why do they say "an alarm going off," if it is really going on?

Joash

I found this log of mimosa beside the road. I have a GPS wood finder in my truck and it automatically came to a stop when I passed it. The wood has a rather offensive odor when turning it green, but worth putting up with to get a bowl like this. Sorry guys, when I turn a natural edge I leave the lip naturally as it grew, and then I take away the rest down to the foot. I have control over the design below the lip, and this is one of the ways I like to make them. I am also interested in finding out how the wax finish will be on this one. If I have any problems I will let you know. I again appreciate your comments.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Nice looking bowl!

Gil, Mimosa is an imported tree that usually takes over places where it is planted. It's notable for choking waterways in extreme cases. A very intrusive tree, and very hard to kill.

In my opinion it's a trash tree and needs to be controlled if not eradicated...

So you can cut down as many as you see for all I care. I wonder if woodturners could solve the problem this tree presents?

http://www.bsu.edu/blogcaster/~laure...mosa20tree.jpg

6. Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    Sorry guys, when I turn a natural edge I leave the lip naturally as it grew, and then I take away the rest down to the foot. I have control over the design below the lip, and this is one of the ways I like to make them.
    Glenn, don't give it another thought... I think it was Calvin Coolidge who said something along the lines of, "Its a shame youth is wasted on the young"... ...(you have to be a fan of The Andy Griffith Show to understand the Coolidge reference).

If we all turned the same shapes/forms it would certainly be a boring situation. I like your NE bowls and this form was easily recognizable as one you turned.

I don't recall turning a NE bowl to finished with green wood... might just give that a barrel soon - thanks!

Beautiful job, Glenn. I've got to give that NE a try when I build up the courage. Thanks for sharing.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Another nice one, Glen.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Nice one Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    Glenn, don't give it another thought... I think it was Calvin Coolidge who said something along the lines of, "Its a shame youth is wasted on the young"... ...(you have to be a fan of The Andy Griffith Show to understand the Coolidge reference)......
    Hey, Ernest T, guess what ol' Cal liked?
    Only the Blue Roads