Thread: How to attach Bosch 1617 fixed base to wood for a simple table setup?

How to attach Bosch 1617 fixed base to wood for a simple table setup?

So, it seems like all I would have to do is to remove the subbase plate, cut a hole for the bit to come through, and then screw the router fixed base to the table top (masonite w/ plastic top)? I would counter sink the screws.. but is this all there is to it?

I'm wanting to avoid buying a seperate router table plate for now. I just want to see how I can use this tool in this way.

Any help is appreciated. Are there any websites that show how to do this? Anyone done this? Or do most people just go with the router plate?

Thanks.

Luke

Luke,

That's all there is to it. A piece of scrap countertop or plywood will get you started. I placed my first "table" over a large metal garbage can with some weight in the bottom. I saw it in a ww mag a few years ago. My fence was a 2x4 calmped on each edge to the counter top. - Rob

That is really all you need to do. You probably want to make a hole for the wrench that allows above the table height adjustment, assuming you have the fixed base with that feature.

You'll probably also need some longer screws.

Where could I get longer screws that would work? I'm thinking of a 3/4" MDF top w/ laminate.

And actually, I don't have anything to counter sink, and I don't have a drill press, what would be the best option here?

L

Blog Entries
    If they're pan head screws you can drill the appropriate size hole just deep enough to put the head below the surface then drill the through hole to match the diameter of the shaft. Unless they are something really odd any hardware store should have the screws.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks! I did some web rummaging, and I found a few things that I thought helpful, so I figured I would post them in case anyone else would find them useful as well:

Video about making a simple router table (using a router table face plate, but would be done without): http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=28007

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040700wb.html

L

Eagle has some longer screw kits for various routers that also come with some pointed screws for centering on baseplate holes and marking the location. I think they're sized for using on 3/8" thick baseplates so still may not be long enough for your use. But you may be able to use their chart to determine the diam and thread that you need.
    http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_198%2D0416K
    Use the fence Luke