Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: should I sell my radial arm saw?

who would buy it. Its a dinasour

I think I'd have one if I had the space. But as it is, I don't even have a miter saw (actually I have one, but it sits in storage for all but the roughest tasks). Besides, with dedicated crosscut sleds and hold-downs, I can crosscut and cross-dado (is that redundant?) very accurately.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by wayne ateser
    who would buy it. Its a dinasour
    Wayne,
    If it is in good working condition there are probably a bunch of folks that would gladly take it off your hands. If you really want to get rid of it put it on the SMC Classifieds at a good price and watch it get snapped up.
    David B

There is no reason to keep the saw to crosscut long boards on a radial arm saw. You can do that with a straight edge and a portable power saw. Wide boards(up to 30 ") I cut on the table saw with a crosscut sled.
    Saying that I have owned a Craftsman radial arm saw since 1978 and even upgraded it with the saw recall fence and guard. If I've used it twice in the last 5(probably 10) years I would be surprised. Most crosscutting(12" or less) is done with sliding chop saws.
    Being a packrat on a Collier brother's scale, I will keep the saw. Once it comes in the house, it stays. But your mental health might be better.
    Ron
    Ron

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    B. Franklin, 1759

Keep the RAS

I bought my RAS in 1965, long before I got my table saw and would never part with it. Shop around the web and you'll probably find a Performax drum sander which attaches to the RAS and you will have a drum sander set up for less than $200.
    Don Brillhart

So nice to hear a like-minded woodworker speaking to the values of the old RAS. Bought mine in '78. Ain't gettin' it away from this old dude.
    Bill

Like so many others...

My RAS was one of the first power tools I bought when at last I had space in my garage after retirement. It's a Sear "electronic" model, and I must have bought it about 1987. It whistles and whirs and cuts like a gem, and it can handle the wobble dado blade perfectly. But I sure wouldn't ask it to handle ripping. Too dangerous. Maybe I am too chicken to gain the experience necessary. Maybe too old and wise. But would I junk it? No, sir.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

The RAS in my dad's shop was the first stationary tool I ever used. It was also the first stationary tool he had in his shop. Between hand tools and that old RAS, I sure learned a lot and made awful lot of mistakes and, every now and then, some pretty nice items.

I don't have one in my shop, making do with the SCMS, but I do look around the shop and wonder if I couldn't make some room every time I see one for $100 on CL. I guess it's more of a nostalgic thing for me.

Old RAS

Brad; Try to find an old Sears with all steel parts. They are really strong and the motor is a real workhorse. I paid $105.00 in 1965 for a one year old saw, loaded with accessories and never regretted it.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Brillhart
    Brad; Try to find an old Sears with all steel parts. They are really strong and the motor is a real workhorse. I paid $105.00 in 1965 for a one year old saw, loaded with accessories and never regretted it.
    Don
    That's the sort of saw I do watch for. My dad's saw was a Craftsman around that vintage and is still working today.

My main hang ups are that I do have the 12" SCMS that does a good chunk of what the RAS can do and it lives on a MSUV that sits between two benches that act as a table for it. When I need to move it somewhere, it just folds down and goes.

I don't really need the RAS to do things I can't already do as well with other tools. I just kind of miss the times I had when using the RAS in my Dad's shop. We don't get much time to work on projects together these days since we are about 4hrs apart.

I have my dad's '82 craftsman, I use it ALL the time! I've thougt about selling mine too for more floor space but I know I would miss it every time I have to crosscut a long board or have to make a cut when my dado stack is in my tablesaw! Plus the fact that it was my fathers-its a keeper!

Sell it if you can, I just gave mine away.
    To dangerous to use when a sliding compound saw will do the same thing
    Ouch that splinter hurt

I'll never sell mine. Comes on very handy when I want to crosscut without a bunch of setup. I have a 12" CMS and a 10" RAS on two adjoining walls...works very nicely.

Dump That Puppy

I tossed my old RAS and replaced it with a Sliding Compund Miter Saw.

I tend to buy my rough cut lumber in 12'-15' lengths and frequently need to cut them down to size.

In addition to the ease of use offered by the CSMS, I feel much safer sliding the blade away from me to make the cut.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

i use mine often with it permanently setup for dados. dust collection is a nightmare but it is so nice being able to goto that station and not have to fiddle with anything. everything else gets tossed at my miter or table saw.