Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New saw question

New saw question

I just received my new Steel City table saw. When I start it up it makes a whine like something is rubbing or maybe the belt is slipping. I've checked that the belt is aligned and that there is nothing rubbing.

Is this normal for saw break-in? My last saw was a direct drive so I am inexperienced with this style saw. Is this something I should contact Steel City about? There also seems to be a bit of vibration going on. I've checked that the arbor is true as well as that the slots are aligned, not that slot alignment would affect vibration and noise.

Thanks for the help.

- D

Darroll,

Is the blade installed? If it is try removing. Blade noise is often a whining noise.
    Les

Yes sir it currently is. The whine is sharp and high pitched. The noise stops after the blade gets to full speed (split second). I get the feeling that the belt is slipping on the initial startup. If it is wouldn't that wear out my belt quickly?

I used to have a Craftsman 22124. It came with a bad belt. If it were the belt you would definately know it - it is a sharp high pitched squeek lasting about 1-2 seconds.

Mike

I had a DeWalt blade that made the same high pitch whine. In fact I had two of the same blades that were identical. one had the whine the other produced no noise whatsoever. Both are great blades, nice smooth crosscuts and rips, but that whine would almost run you out of the shop. The only difference would be, that you said the whine from your saw was at start up, and then quieted after reaching full speed. My situation was just the opposite.

Remove the blade, turn on the machine, and see if the whine is still produced. Try to narrow it down, before calling CS. Good Luck, Bill

I looked at the belt prior to install and it looked fine. No frayed edges or signs of rips or tears. The whine lasts ~1 second or less and sounds like rubbing, it is high pitched. Almost like metal rubbing, but I can't find anyplace that rubs.

Will do. Thanks Bill et all.

Blog Entries
    I installed a linked belt on my saw and it helped with nosie and vibration during and after start up. The belt that came with my saw was a good one but the place where the two ends were joined was rough and seemed to be causing noise and vibration.

My saw is a contractor type and it took me a good while to get: the motor position, pulley tension and belt guard all properly adjusted. With the new belt and some experience tunning all the parts she is running very smooth and quiet.

Blog Entries
    Anthony,

I have quieted blades by putting a small piece of tape over the slots on each side. The tape clears the kerf made by the teeth. If this works for you maybe you could use your blade without the torture.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Which SC saw do you have? If it is the hybrid the belt could look great but still be the problem. I agree with the suggestions above...first remove the blade then also remove the belt. Also, when I had a problem with the OEM belt it squeeled longer at the max. miter angle (less tension on the belt).

Mike

I have the 35610 hybrid. I am heading to the shop now, I'll let you know what I find.

OK, it is definatly the belt that is slipping on startup. The 3hp motor actually jumps a little. At least I know there is some power in there. ok, any suggestions on how to combat this issue?

Call Steel City. You don't want to mess with the warranty. Sounds like an alignment problem between the pulleys.
    Les

14. Thanks Glenn I will give it a try. I do have a zero clearance insert though. I could make another insert just for that blade, and see if that stops the whine. Regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    Anthony,

I have quieted blades by putting a small piece of tape over the slots on each side. The tape clears the kerf made by the teeth. If this works for you maybe you could use your blade without the torture.

Will do Les.

As for alignment, I don't think so. When the motor starts, the torque raises the motor and loosens tension on the belt. That is where I think the noise comes from. Though I will add that I don't completely rule out alignment issues completely. There is a bit of vibration that I think is excessive.