Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Locust?

Cool Black Locust?

Any of you turners ever use Black Locust? If so, any particular points of interest one should know about it? My buddy can get his mitts on a bunch of it near his home, where the utility co. is clearing a path for new/additional power lines and he's volunteered to get me some if it's worth my while.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yea...the best advise is to turn it green. If it's dry, it will be like turning steel with a butter knife. But it's beautiful wood and like many dense species, takes a nice shine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool! Thanks for the input, Jim! I'll have to drop him a line and see if he can't throw some in his truck for me. He's a budding WW himself, but fortunately for me, doesn't have a lathe! (yet....) Guess I'll have to give it a go.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Be sure to watch out for them thorns.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    Be sure to watch out for them thorns.
    "Thorns"??? On the trunk? Hmmm...Sounds like a nasty little tree there! Maybe them thorns are truly protecting some nice looking stuff under the bark! Thanks for this tip, Jack.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Good stuff John

Black Locust is quite hard, but quite pretty too. I turned file handles out of it and they sure are pretty. As long as your tools are really sharp you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Very wear and rot resistant stuff. Here in New England the old joke is that a post made from black locust will outlast 6 post holes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    Here in New England the old joke is that a post made from black locust will outlast 6 post holes.
    LOL! Now that's comedy! Thanks for the input. BTW, Dave, there's a PM coming at 'ya shortly!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Thanks for your post, John. I just scrounged some myself at the park from major storm damage. I just got some rounds so I don't know anything about thorns, though. Haven't done anything with it yet except to cut it into some smaller pieces on the bandsaw.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Absolutely turn it green. I tried turning some dry when I first started out and just about broke my wrist. Hard as a rock with squirrely grain.

Happy shavings!

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maluso
    Absolutely turn it green. I tried turning some dry when I first started out and just about broke my wrist. Hard as a rock with squirrely grain.

Happy shavings!

Diane
    Thanks Diane! Now that's a *very* important bit of info! Might even try out the LDD method, while I'm at it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Funny you should mention this.......

I launched a locust bowl one night last week whilst trying to hollow it out. This stuff is probably a bit too dry but it is a nice crotch piece with some very pretty grain. It is a very beautiful wood and if you mess it up, it does great in the burn pile.

BTW, I believe the thorny locust refered to above is honey locust and not the black variety. At least here in west NC that's how it is.

Good luck and be careful.

Andy Halterman

Knew those spring temps were just a tease in Hendersonville, NC

John,
    What is the LDD method?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    John,
    What is the LDD method?

Mark
    Good question, Mark! I hope to heck one of our more esteemed turners will jump in to correct my explanation! I've never done it, so I'm going to have to do a little searching (again) to get the details, but basically, after you rough turn your piece, you dunk it in a bucket with @ a 50/50 solution of liquid dishwashing detergent/water, weigh it down and let it soak for a day or two. Take it out and then let it "dry" for a certain (?) amount of time and then chuck it back up and finish your turning. Something about the LDD displacing the water and allowing it to dry without checking and a whole lot less distorting. Somethin' like that, anyhow. If nobody else jumps in with more info, as soon as I get the skinny on it, I'll forward finding on to you.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John,
    Thanks! I've seen references to this but never an explanation. This sound like something for us novice turners to try, since I don't have 6 months worth of roughed out bowls sitting around, and don't want to wait 6 months to complete my first green wood bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    John,
    Thanks! I've seen references to this but never an explanation. This sound like something for us novice turners to try, since I don't have 6 months worth of roughed out bowls sitting around, and don't want to wait 6 months to complete my first green wood bowl.
    Mark I did a quick search of my "Favorites" and came up with this link I had marked earlier on sometime: http://www.ronkent.com/RKhome.html
    I forget who, but someone here at SMC referred to this site and I just revisited. The guy does some tremendous work and may be the "creator" of the LDD method. He doesn't get into real minute details, which leaves me to believe it's not a real exacting science. Real good overview, nonetheless. Once there, check under "Techniques".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas