Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare 18th Century Lamp Screen - Walnut & Curly maple

1. Lou,

I was pretty sure which one you had made, just from the title. I’ve liked that piece in the Nutting book since I first saw it, and your’s is just like the photo. I also like the architectural details in your house.

Have you ever made a firescreen?

Rob Millard

hi rob

nutting's photos are not the best, especially with these little pieces. But I did try to emulate it as best as I could. the leaf is just glued on to the walnut stem. I did not detect any nails holding it on in the photo, but I would think they might have.

I want to make a fire screen. My wife is a really into textiles and has offered to do the needle point on it. Right now I have just been playing around with building some smalls. I just finished up a couple of sand timers ( they are tricky to build and get right ).

I am blessed with a pretty decent c1730 house with a fair amount of original features. it has 6 stone fire places that all work. I live in a town that was considered "Appalachia" by all the folks with money. Because it was always so poor, none of the original homes were ever modernized. my house did not have running water until the mid 1970's. Because of that, many of the town's really old homes are pretty original, while all the other richer towns around that had money over the years are now paying for high price restorations to bring their fancy homes back to the where my little poor town has always been. Sort of ironic.

Lou