Thread: This really really sucks

This really really sucks

...but in a good way. My cyclone is finally finished. I finally received my fiber bins. This was a custom order due to the non standard size but very reasonably priced. The manufacturer, Grief Bros., took a full sized 23" diameter bin and cut it in half so I bought both. The bin measures 23" wide by 22" high. This way I can switch the bins and empty two at once. Grand total for both bins and two locking metal lids was $67CDN taxes in. They also cut out the center hole so I cold mount a flange for the flex pipe. Most of my duct work is complete. I went with 6" metal spiral for the ducting. A few more blast gates to install and I am in business.

Yup, you're in business! Nice job and a clean looking install, as it were...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope you plan to show the details of your DC system. It looks great.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Very nice, well done. Interesting filter unit. I'm thinking they might be easier to clean that way. What static pressure are you getting now with the filters clean? Looks like a Pentz design. I'd like to here more of the details such as motor size, impeller, and so on.

Smile

Good work Rick!

I'm impressed - goot lookin system.

Rick, can you tell us more about your project?

Did you do the cyclone fabrication yourself? I'd be curious to know how much it cost to fabricate in materials and labor (if you paid to have it done).

Also, what is the story with the two filters? I've not seen a setup like that before.

Looks good.

JH

Nice job Rick, a beautiful installation. Is that a meter in the background?

Ben

I would also like to see some details on how this was made as I may go this route in the future.

Thanks for the feedback. If you click on my name and look at my previous posts you would come across the build process. I have a couple more blast gates to install and then I will take some readings.

I now have all the duct work in place. A few more feet of flex and I will have all my machines hooked up. I can already see the value of having the Magnehelic gauge on the filter box. With clean filters the gauge reads 1.2". I removed my prefilters and there was minimal change in the reading but I will still change the filters for screening once they need to be replaced. If I only left open a line with a 6" => 4" reducer the pressure on the gauge would drop to I believe 0.6". You can immediately see the effects on air flow when I open a different combination of blast gates.

I am not sure if my calculation is correct but on average I get a reading of 3.25" using another pressure gauge along my 6" spiral lines. According to my calculations this equates to 1414CFM. If anyone gets a different calculation let me know. I installed the shark guard on my saw with a 4" flex running into the cabinet and a second 4" line into the guard. I took come test cuts and watched the guard suck up a 2"x1"x3/4" piece. At first I panicked thinking it was going to hit the impeller but than remembered I am not running my 1HP DC unit.
    Last edited by Rick Beko; 03-18-2007 at 11:50 PM.