Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finished Display cabinet

Very nice, not much more than I can add that hasn't been said.
    Wouldn't sweat the 9 months, unless you were doing this as a business taking your time and doing a good job, would be more important to me.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Some serious doll action there...and a beautiful piece of woodworking to compliment it!!
    ----

Brian W...not a whole lot of cherry growing in Idaho and there probably isn't a mill or lumber perveyor on every corner. I'm not surprised that the price of cherry for OP Brian is "up there"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW very nice work here on such a grand scale.... Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe someday I will be that kind of beginner!!!!! LOL
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

You got to be proud of that work. It is awesome.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Yea Jim,
    I know prices fluctuate depending on location ~ but $11.50 for cherry -whew , I'm great full that I live where I do-man that's expensive!

Like wow,
    That looks super! Super!
    Thanks for sharing,

Congratulations. That's a piece that everyone who comes to your house will see and admire. When they learn that you made it yourself, they will doubt your word.

I'll bet after you step back from it for a few months, you will start to be excited about another big project.

Also, congratulations on your lovely wife. Working together on a project each sharing your strengths is wonderful.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Brian,

NO!!! I am not kidding. Hard woods really cost that much here. The area I live in is a DIY kind of an area and I always wondered why there are so few woodworkers in the area. Now that I have priced the wood, I know why. There are only 2 hardwood dealers here. One has quality wood at high prices, and the other is a cabinet shop that sells only the culls from their cabinet stock at even higher prices. The quality dealer doesn't like to sell to the weekend warriors so we pay a premium price for the small quantities we buy. There are no other hardwood suppliers nearer than 260 miles, and the prices are not enough lower to justify the gas and time. As for a small local mill... I live in the desert. There are no trees. Really! No kidding! If we could build with sagebrush, we would be in great shape. The nearest forests (about 1.5 hours away) are all softwoods. Lodgepole pines that make great log cabins, and telephone poles, but not big enough to make economical lumber. Besides, who wants all that pitich on their blades? On the brighter side, we have great fishing!!! My wife and I vacationed in New England last fall, and for the first time in my life, I wanted to hug a tree (all of them), and while I was at it, pull them up by the roots and bring them home. I have recently focused my energy on wood turning to get my sawdust fix, without breaking the bank. Now I can get my lumber free when a neighbor is cutting down one of the few "domesticated" trees in the area. Such a limited selection. Oh well, we can't all live in the eastern forrests.

I guess that's enough of my whining for now.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 03-27-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Wow...beautiful.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown
    Brian,

NO!!! I am not kidding. Hard woods really cost that much here. The area I live in is a DIY kind of an area and I always wondered why there are so few woodworkers in the area. Now that I have priced the wood, I know why. There are only 2 hardwood dealers here. One has quality wood at high prices, and the other is a cabinet shop that sells only the culls from their cabinet stock at even higher prices. The quality dealer doesn't like to sell to the weekend warriors so we pay a premium price for the small quantities we buy. There are no other hardwood suppliers nearer than 260 miles. ...

Brian
    Brian, my only suggestion for this would be buying your wood over the Internet. I'm sure that some here could help you find what you want at better prices than you can get locally. It's worth a try.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Beautiful job. Very nice!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Outstanding work!
    I don’t believe the beginner part of the story though, nope, not for one second!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Project

That is a piece of art !!! Nice job both of you