Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domino Sold Out In Usa!!!

Let's be careful of, umm...April Fools Jokes...on contentious subjects, folks...

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Hedahl
    Sounds like they're selling them too cheap.

Loren
    .....I'm waiting for the HF knock-off.

Festool staying expensive is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson
    The bottom line is that they don't want to be competitive with DeWalt and the like. They don't want to sell the high-volume, low cost tools. This is written right into their published, corporate business plan. There was a graph of the market they presented. There is a competative market in the low-cost tools, and another competative market in the high cost tools. Between these two areas is the "black area of death" where a tool is neither the best, nor the cheapest. Festool strives to stay above this area, whereas DeWalt (and others) strive to stay below this area. Any company that operates within this black area, doesn't do so for long.

Festool-USA on the other hand understands that the DIY market in the U.S. is far stronger than it is in other parts of the world, so they do make attempts to reach out to this market more than other divisions of the Festool group.

It isn't so much that Festool is reaching down toward the DIY market, as it is that the U.S. DIY market is reaching upward toward Festool. Ten years ago the average DIY woodworker could only dream of the day they could buy a full cabinet saw (Unisaw). Today, the percentage of DIY'ers that have Unisaws is much, much higher. The market has moved upward in the U.S. DIY market.
    Rick,

Excellent post.

I view Festool's strategy to stay at the high end as extremely positive. Over the last 5 years (10 years?), the quality of tools sold by the big box stores has gone steadily downward. Prices have dropped or stayed the same, but quality has decreased.

For example, consider the Dewalt DW718 replacing its predecessor the DW708. (I almost bought a DW718.) The 718 has new and better features, but a commensurate drop in quality. The 718's head is floppy compared to 708 and the castings aren't as good. Dewalt used to make higher-end tools. Now they are in the middle tier and dropping.

Unfortunately Dewalt is in the "black area of death" as you call it. They chose to go down the price curve.

Like many other companies, Bosch has followed them. Some of their tools are still quite good, but many (most?) are produced at the lowest cost and are now mediocre.

Now match this with another trend - baby boomers retiring. I'm 60. I'm a contract software developer and am still happy doing what I do best - developing database software. But sometime in the next ten years, like many other baby boomers in the last five years and many more in the next ten years, I'll retire. I've worked hard for the last 40+ years and like many baby boomers have reached a point where I can afford better things. My point is that after accepting mediocre quality much of my life, I now choose not to.

In the next 10 years, you will see a flood of relatively affluent retirees hitting the streets. We will have excess available time, some available funds, and the willingness to spend both time and money on satisfying and fun pursuits. These retirees are thinking... "I've worked all my life. Why struggle with poor quality tools!?! It's time to treat myself!"

Into the path of this incoming flood of retirees steps Festool with high-quality (albeit expensive), innovative, effective, compact, light weight tools that meet their needs. Keeping the price high is unfortunate, but it allows Festool to keep the quality high and the innovation continuing.

IMO, retiring baby boomers now and in the future comprise and will comprise much of Festool's DIY market in the US of A.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner
    the Domino will be sold out in the US by the end of next week.
    Wow. They really generated some industry buzz. I wouldn't be a pioneer for a tool that pricey but ya might be OK with FesterTool cause they do make pretty good tools.

Maybe in a few years I'll think about getting one. By then inventory should have recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke
    .....I'm waiting for the HF knock-off.
    Ha Ha

Word dude !

Just a little to add on to the baby boom theory stated above. I have put position in the position to be fairly comfortable (I'm a boomer) in my retirement years but many have not. I personally know of boomers who have no retirement plan and no savings. They tell me they will have to rely on Social Security (ha! ha!) or work till they drop.
    I don't think SS will handle 75,000,000 baby boomers. I do not think that the retiring people will effect the sales of very high end tools. Most boomers have been preparing by collecting as we go along. I personlly think that the 40- 60 year age group will continue to dominate the sales. I think people buy more when paychecks are still coming in and don't want to dip into retirement money for a hobby. If you don't believe me ask my LOML. She has plans for ALL our re tirement money!!!
    Gary K.

My thoughts on the Festool chatter..

Goes to show ya that all the grousing about the prices on Festool products is reflected in the supply/demand stream. Sold out? Too high? NAAHHHHHH.
    They have a great product, and we want 'em. Guess that they aren't too high after all. (Chuckle.)
    Bill

"It is discrepencies like this that tells me that there is no insider, but the story was invented by Mr. Lautner for sensationalism. Taking a look at this poster's history further supports this notion.

There is no doubt that Domino pre-orders are very high, and I have predicted as much ever since I first became aware of its existence two years ago. But presenting such information without foundation is extremely irresponsible."

Don't get so offended by an april fools joke big fella. You sound like the FBI analyzing a homicide case. Relax a bit and go buy a domino.

Dan

"""""""""""
    For every single hour of uninterrupted use, this machine pays for itself.
    """"""""""

$900 an hour????
    Boy did I pick the wrong profession....

Is kinda like PS3 and Stones tickets....

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

So for those of us who pre-ordered (from Mr Marino in this case), when will Festool drop them to us?

I know the release day is today, but I assume that is the day they'll be shipped, not the day they'll arrive.

Anyone have Festool drop ship before? I've always picked my bits up locally.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    Goes to show ya that all the grousing about the prices on Festool products is reflected in the supply/demand stream. Sold out? Too high? NAAHHHHHH.
    They have a great product, and we want 'em. Guess that they aren't too high after all. (Chuckle.)
    Bill

Who is this WE you are talking about? Did you take a poll? Who and where did you poll? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Gary K.

Al,

I have had a Domino for 3 months or so.

Lets do the math.

I can cut a mortise with setup one every 10 seconds.

6 a minute.

360 in one hour.

On the job. In your house. With No dust.

Any project I make for you that needs 360 M/T joints

is going to cost about 10 dollars less then a year at Yale.

So what's 900 clams?

Bait at that point.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I don't know about machine shipments, but I DID get my brochure in the mail today...quite a centerfold...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall
    When using a bisquit joiner handheld there is often a little movement when cutting - place it on the mark, cut, and on the return it's a little off the mark. The design of a bisquit allows for movement and it's easy to align the parts when gluing.

Is there any movement with the Domino and if there was is there any wiggle room with the Domino tenons?
    John,
    Did you get your answer? The answer is sure, if you're not careful the Domino can move. I've seen it move a bit when plunging quickly into hardwood before I was really ready to plunge and hadn't securely placed the Domino. The Domino has a pair of plastic grippers which help prevent the tool from moving as well.

Another thing I noticed is that the cutter tends to self center. You might see the Domino move a hair to the left but then because the bit is swinging left and right, it seems to pull itself back on center.

In my review there is a test where I use the Cross Stop to position the mortises. Four mortises in each piece indexed off four different places, using the exact fit setting and everything goes together perfect.

When doing a long run of mortises like in an edge join, you just set the width for the middle setting and you'll have plenty of play. You will find however that you can place the mortise so precisely that you really dont need to use the wider settings all that often.
    Last edited by Bill Esposito; 03-30-2007 at 5:24 PM.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    So for those of us who pre-ordered (from Mr Marino in this case), when will Festool drop them to us?

I know the release day is today, but I assume that is the day they'll be shipped, not the day they'll arrive.

Anyone have Festool drop ship before? I've always picked my bits up locally.

Pete
    Festool shippng has always been pretty quick in my experience. I just hope all you guys getting Dominos dont slow up my receiving my second MFT, I'm only home for a few days next week in order to receive it off the truck before I head out again
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages