Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Tour Takers? ADDED Tour w/pics

Any Tour Takers? ADDED Tour w/pics

Hey, I was thinking of posting my shop remake in anticipation of Beauty but I don't want to bore everyone. Anyone interested?
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 04-05-2007 at 8:35 AM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

For a guy with a bad back and lathe not coming till November, you sure are busy! I would love to see the update.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Shop Tour

Chris,
    I always love seeing other peoples shops....

BTW, a while back I got a shop tour section started on OldToolsShop.com and I'm sure, if you would be willing, it would be a welcome addition there!
    roy
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

we must be already bored if we're not turning anything so sen them on!

Let's see it! I like seeing other peoples shops!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Well? Where is it Hartley?

I always like to see other guys shops. I'm pretty happy with my set-up, but an unthought of tweak here and there is a good thing. Usually I end up smacking myself on the forehead saying,"why didn't I think of that."

Pictorial Tour

OK, first let me say thanks; it gets my eyes of the boredom and let's me do something that isn't too strenuous. Ill first show the overall shop and then show some close-up detail and describe my thinking behind it. My philosophy is. if I have something at home that is no longer being used and it will fill a purpose in what I want to do, then, can I make it work practically.
    1. In the first pic you see the side of my blank storage shelves. I use this old monster desk for a bench and it has four great drawers. Later it will probably be replaced when I get a good table or miter saw. I just haven't decided which I will go with and that is probably a year or so off anyway. You can see that I am starting to get some materials together for Vacuum Drums and I have my mailing boxes available. My daughter got me the Craftsman chair for Christmas and I really love it for sanding.
    2. Here is the "BIG VOID", Beauty's new home. I plan to position her length wise rather than across the space. Since the shop is devoted to spinning I want to take advantage of open space around her. My biggest issue now is wall space, as you can see it is pretty full. I removed my old wide benches on the side and went for a shallow and long bench across the back.The empty space above the bench is where the Bowl Steady will hang when not in use. I also intend to put a filter box on the back of the fan to trap even more dust. I will address the home-brew dust catcher for the lathe in a little bit with a detail pic.
    3. All I can say here is that probably the next big change will be the band saw this one is just too small. The disk sander can not be lifted(for obvious reasons) but I need to build a stand for it. The DC is already run to accommodate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. The DC hookup is pretty simple. I used a combo of PVC(most on hand) and flex hose. I did have to buy some Blast Gates. I am using one 4" gate on each of the large hoses and a 2 1/2" gate for each of the Band Saw and Disk Sander. Works great!
    2. The DC for the lathe is fabricated out of a number of things.
      1. The catcher is a 90 degree 6" to 4" PVC
      2. The Stand is an old cast iron umbrella stand(very heavy)
      3. the bracket is from an handicapped toilet seat the post is 1 5/8" copper pipe
      4. the cap is a hole saw that I had a duplicate of and fit perfectly.
      5. The catcher will move up and down using some bolts, rubber washers, steel washers and plastic tightening nuts from a walker arm brace bracket. It also swivels. and raises and lowers the height.
    I will be painting the entire assembly
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 04-05-2007 at 10:00 AM.

My tool line is pretty pathetic right now but that will grow.
    1. I am using my old HF tools to regrind for specific purposes. The small wood chisels work great for lidded boxes, detail work and pens. My measuring tools are easy to get at.
    2. My lathe accessories are ready to go when "Beauty" arrives.

This is a shot of a Jacussi Pump Motor that I have two of. The shaft is not a standard 1/2" or 5/8" so Ill have to figure out what to do about some arbors for my buffing wheels and bowl buffs. Any Ideas would be appreciated. The motors are 220V and duel speed so I can set them for the 1700 range and they should work fine. I like the idea of them hanging off the bench front for ease of use. I will be wiring in switches on each one.

That's a creative setup for lathe DC. I would probably want an extension coming off of the catcher, to deal with smaller turnings.

I can understand the urge to replace the bandsaw. My 14" is feeling terribly inadequate and I'm wanting one of these, but at this point the consequence would likely be either death or divorce and I don't want either one. Gotta wait a while to buy that saw!

This is the last one I promise! Just my Blank Shelves...

Shop Tour

Funny, to me it seems the "blank shelves" appear to be well stocked!

Greg

Very nice shop tour. Thank you for sharing. Hope the back is healing according to plan.