Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show of hands?

My Inca 2100 came with a riving knife that is always in place. The standard blade guard has never been on the saw. I wish now I had purchased the optional SUVA guard, but they are no longer available.

I also had an Inca 850. The riving knife was always in place. I also had the optional SUVA guard for that saw ans liked it. It was almost always attached for any operation that permitted it.

Larry

When I got my PM 66, I took one look at the blade guard and determined I wasn't going to use it. I did get a Biesemeyer snap in splitter, which I use most of the time. I had been thinking of getting the Shark guard mainly for dust collection purposes.

Mike

I have a Shop Fox cabinet saw, with Delta Uniguard and a Biesemeier splitter. I gave the Delta removeable splitter to a friend recently.

The guard and splitter are used pretty much all the time. Exceptions are cutting dadoes, and when the sled is in use. On those occasions, the splitter is removed. Also, when doing raised panels, etc., the guard has to be removed for height clearance.

I have the General International contractor... I tried to use the factory junk it for safety's sake... I liked the riving knives. But i could never get the thing to line up perpendicular to the table nor with the blade...

After i got a big sheet of plywood stuck last weekend end, i ripped it off and it's going in the attic in case i ever sell...

I want the beismeyer like Jim, but i don't think the delta contractor version will work on the General. I just bought some MJ Splitters to put in some zero clearance inserts. May try it over the weekend. But obviouly there is no riving knive there...

Also, the latest issue of Shopnotes looks like it has plans for building your own blade guard. I may try to pick this up - looks promising... most of my dust is sent forward above the saw right now...

-brad

Think

I use the splitter and guard that came with my Grizzly 1023SL, and I use a Dubby sled when cross-cutting or working with small stuff. Occasionally, I slip in a VCI when doing skinny cuts. My Woodworker II blade replaced the original blade very early on.

BUT the important thing I still use is my brain. I plan every single step. Yes, I am very respectful of my Grizzly and recognize it can do bad things a lot faster than I can get out of the way. So I sort of "role play" each cut.

This "thinking the cut through" is especially important if I am doing the same "simple" act over and over again. Repeated actions lead to carelessness, right? And I NEVER work when I am tired. I quit and have a beer.

And so here I am -- age 80 and have all my fingers. Scared of kickbacks, too. Always will be.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Yes

Slider witha riving knife and guard in palce at all times.

Whne I had TS, the gurad seemed to me to be more dangerous on then off.

i replaced the OEM splitter/blade guard on my powermatic 64 contractor's saw with the sharkguard for improved visibility and dust collection and the OEM blade insert with a phenolic one from rockler. i seldom use dados except for on jigs for t-track and when i need them, i prefer to rout them. changing out the blade insert is a definite pain! operating WITHOUT a blade guard is a great way to test out your medical coverage - i don't recommend it no matter how inconvenient it may seem.

I have the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter and an Excalibur overarm guard on my PM-66. The original equipment was pathetic.

Blog Entries
    I am amazed at how many future amputees we have in this discussion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Same here; the riving knife stays in place on my slider and so far I've not had reason to ever remove the guard. Dados get done by router.

Apart from any other safety considerations the guard on my MM CU300 is an important part of good dust collection.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

No, I took them off shortly after I bought the saw, a Powermatic 54A. I use homemade zero clearance inserts with hardwood splitters. I've made several different ZCI's with splitters of differing heights so I can make dadoes and grooves and still use the splitter.

Tom

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I use a snap in splitter and ZCI on my Unisaw. Don't use the guard.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

What's a guard??

I did get the Microjig splitter for Christmas but still have to install it (haven't used the saw since getting it as the shop's been in hibernation).
    Use the fence Luke

I have a Biesemeyer splitter, with pawls intact, that I use religiously when ripping. I use feather boards often, and a shoe type push stick.

I also have a Brett Guard that I keep, but never use, since I think that on balance it reduces safety.

Microjig splitter ... no guard.

Barry in WV