Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Curly Cherry Plasma Screen Stand: Lot-o-Pics

Jason,
    Beautiful work...really like the proportions. I noticed a slight space between the top and the carcass...is that to allow for expansion/contraction of the top? Did you design in any kind of cable management system or passive venting system for the components?

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful piece. Great hardware and color.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jason, thanks for the reply. I too have a HD DVR (Dish Network VIP 622) which puts out a ton of heat and will shut down if it gets too hot. I plan on using something like this temperature controlled DC Fan. We use them in our aquarium light hoods and they are pretty quiet.

I'm thinking that with a number of components, convection cooling wont be enough.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Great Work, Jason !!!
    MARK

Awsome work Jason! Really like the design.

Another beautifully executed project, Jason. I was just thinking about one of these recently for when we get a new tv.

I have got to find a place that just leaves all the curly cherry in with the regular...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    I noticed a slight space between the top and the carcass...is that to allow for expansion/contraction of the top? Did you design in any kind of cable management system or passive venting system for the components?
    Paul, no the gap is to give the piece more of a floating kind of feel to the piece. I didn't do anything fancy for cable management. I was originally going to bore some holes into the table top for speaker cables to go through and a center hole for the hdmi cables etc. but I opted to just put the six holes in the back panels. I installed it yesterday and it looks fine. I did this so that if he ever wants to use this for another function, there won't be any holes in the top. Concerning the venting, he has two components: He has a Bose system that is a DVD/CD combo and a digital cable box - neither of which produce any substantial btu's. In the future I may have to bore some holes or put some kind of fan system. Right now that would be overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    Jason, thanks for the reply. I too have a HD DVR (Dish Network VIP 622) which puts out a ton of heat and will shut down if it gets too hot. I plan on using something like this temperature controlled DC Fan. We use them in our aquarium light hoods and they are pretty quiet.

I'm thinking that with a number of components, convection cooling wont be enough.
    Bill, when we got ours a few weeks ago, I put it in my unvented cabinet. Wow! That thing gets HOT! We brought it up to it's auto shut off temp. I ended up putting it in our bedroom where we have an open cabinet and put the regular HD receiver in the unvented cabinet and have been just fine. But you're certainly going to need some active cooling system if you're going to put that into a cabinet. Thanks for the link!

Beautiful work Jason. By any chance, is your client a tall African American fellow called Frank?

BTW, I have a ViP622 in a cabinet too - it got so hot I had to put more slots in the back of the cab and I have to leave the door open. One day soon I'll rig up a quiet fan and/or change the doors on the cab to add slots there too.
    Last edited by Dave Fifield; 04-08-2007 at 4:15 AM.
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Beautiful work Jason. By any chance, is your client a tall African American fellow called Frank?
    Nope. And his name isn't Jason either