Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A unique style of Ball and Claw feet for a chair. PIX

Great work.

Richard

2. I like that a lot. Claw feet has been a thing I have wanted to try for a long while.
    That however is the first time I saw under cut claws.

Way cool ~!!

Beautiful, only because they haven't coined the appropriate

adjective yet.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

A Ball & Claw Hacker replies

Inspiring! You make me want to try undercutting.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Great work! You are doing some really great work John!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

What blows me away is that you've got the courage and skill to do the claw end last. I'm sure if I even attempted something as great I would have tossed 7 or 8 botched legs and wasted a lot of time on the rest of the leg as well. I'm sure my keepers wouldn't look that nice either. Outstanding work.
    Use the fence Luke

nice example of b/c feet. thanks for the photos. why did you choose the tapered ball ( new York "square ball" per Israel Sack )l rather than the round ball ? BTW, I do not like the squashed ball either, but IMHO the round ball looks best. Just the same, the masters did have a number of versions of these balls, and I was just wondering why attracted you to them
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone View Post
    nice example of b/c feet. thanks for the photos. why did you choose the tapered ball ( new York "square ball" per Israel Sack )l rather than the round ball ? BTW, I do not like the squashed ball either, but IMHO the round ball looks best. Just the same, the masters did have a number of versions of these balls, and I was just wondering why attracted you to them
    Lou
    Thanks for the kind words everybody.

Lou,

I drew up several renditions, and the clients showed me several photos and drawings of their own. I went with the tapered ball in an effort to achieve a sense of femininity, which is not an easy task with something as aggressive as a ball and claw foot. A chair leg is short to begin with and by trying to make the ball "smaller" and more petite, the whole foot gets shorter if the ball is round. I wanted the length of talon for the undercutting, and after looking at all of our drawings, I decided I liked the tapered ball the most. by raising the apex, and tapering the ball, it allowed me reduce the diameter of the ball without making it shorter and stubbier (what I was trying to avoid), and maintain the slender, but still long claws. I felt I was still able to convey the look of the tension and the grip, but keep a touch of femininity.

I also was NOT out to try and reproduce some individual "Master's" work, which can often be a road to disaster, but maybe, just maybe, by using various different elements, I could inject a touch of individuality.

I have had a few other comments, (which I do appreciate) about the tapered ball, so I guess, like everything else, we all have different tastes and you can't please everybody.

I really do like them, and the clients love them, so I think I've done my job.

Thanks for your input Lou.
    Last edited by John Fry; 04-14-2007 at 5:06 PM.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Outstanding work as well as lots of PATIENCE!! Very nice...
    Jerry

I like the idea that you took a classic form and elaborated it with your own ideas in order to make it appropriate for your client. People that do such a thing are called artist.

Ron Brese

John, Absolutely wonderful work. I really liked the overall effect you achieved. Please do post pictures of the completed project. How long did it take to finish the carvings?
    Alan
    Support SMC, become a Contributor.

Wow, that is some great detail work! They look very much alive.