Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop lifting device

Is it just me, didn't anyone else open this post thinking it had criminal intentions?

I was picturing one of those extending arms with pincers on the end; made of wood, of course . . .
    JR

"""""""""""
    Is it just me, didn't anyone else open this post thinking it had criminal intentions?
    """""""""

Ya, had to come up with a entirely different suggestion after I read his post....

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I rented and engine block lift to remove my saw from the pallet and lower it on to a roller base and it work great and very easy. All it cost was 25 for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McGuire View Post
    I purchased and recieved a new Grizzly G0586. Now I just need to assemble the thing. I am thinking about rigging the following device to help me lift the jointer bed on to the stand.
    When I got my G0586, I had a similar challenge. After much fussing with pullies and such, it turns out the thing isn't THAT heavy. My wife and I lifted it on without the slightest trouble. Now, we're in our 30's, so that may be a factor.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Let me preface this by saying I'm 6'2" about 260 and along time ago benched around 400 pounds. I picked mine up and put it on the base alone. Lets just saw I'm happy I don't want anymore kids! That sucker was heavy! If it ever needs to come off the base I won't be doing it alone.

7. I don't trust engineered trusses very much at all.
    Using three or four with the over top 4x4 is a good idea. I'd be very wary about the span you will be engaging. If the trusses are more than 10 feet long either don't lift from the middle or add some support near to your lift area by way of some 2x4 cripples from the floor up.

Dan,
    I'm 78 and no longer the strongest man on my block(whats a block in the country??) but I bought an engine puller some four or five years ago and I'm glad I did. I've handled not only the 5hp griz, but also my old shaper and many odd jobs that have come up. I don'think I gave over %125 for it still in the box. It sure makes lifting a six foot maple trunk easy when I strtch ouit the arms. By the way, I had a hoyewr at one time but got it out of balance with a 30 horse 3 phase motor (circa 450 #s) and bent the frame.
    Good luck
    Ed

Just saw a Harbor Freight flyer the other day. Two ton engine hiost on sale. I wouldn't be without one.

I put the 6" jointer bed on my PM54 with a regular hydraulic floor jack. I was having back problems at the time (eventually leading to surgery) and didn't want to try lifting it. So I got it slid onto the jack and balanced, then raised it up as high as it would go and put blocks underneath, then lowered the jack and put blocks on it and raised it some more. I think it took me two stages of blocking but once high enough I just slid it onto the base.
    Use the fence Luke

Folks, thanks for all of the replies. I do have some help coming down on Sunday and he and I should be able to lift the machine up ourselves. However I am impatient.

I was considering the engine hoist from the get-go when I ordered the machine, but I have been having trouble arranging time to get to the rental shop between my job, kids activites, wifes job, and honey do list.

I was looking for a field expedient way to get the job done. Fortunately, my buddy is coming over on Sunday to help me move a swing set, so if I don't kill him with that, then I'll finish him off with the jointer.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Not just you. I was thinking the same thing. For some reason a certain Jane's Addiction video with a turkey comes to mind.