Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: visit to an Amish mill

My original post was discuss some "neat", interesting things done to modify woodworking tools. It was not intended to be a discussion of the Amish church. We should leave it to woodworking in this forum.

Ok, anybody know what construction techniques they use to make the Amish churches and what motivated them to use those techniques?

Bruce

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Maple View Post
    There's a large lumber yard in Charm that sells power tools, such as a Porter Cable belt sander, that are air powered. It is probably the nicest lumber yard I have ever seen. It has a 15' wide medallion on the floor in the entry way that is made with various inlaid woods. It even has a restaurant! They employ many Amish and it is interesting to go up to one of the service desks and an Amish man will take your plans and prepare a quote on a computer.
    I also have been amazed at the Amish using computers at Keim Lumber. I guess you have to be competitive, and pad and pencil would be hard to keep track of all the products they carry. I was there last friday and saw one of the service desk men playing a video game on the computer. He stopped when he saw me looking at him and he blushed. They have cut lumber in the yard for me with a PC 18v circular saw, so it would fit in the bed of my truck, and they all use portable radios. I wonder how they charge the batteries? Solar?

Bruce Benjamin,

I grew up in Meadville, PA. What a wonderful place to grow up in as a young boy.

Roaming through the woods during the summers, beautiful fall foliage and tons of snow to play in during the winter. We lived just up the hill from Allegheny College. As a matter of fact, I believe I have ridden a Flexible Flyer onto some of the college property more than once after sledding down Limber Road.

Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories. I wish my kids had gotten the oppportunity to grow up there.

Greg Ladd