Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes, another plane

No Ralph, no alterations needed. I can't imagine having a problem either simply because I have yet to encounter such a problem in all the planes I have both the Hock CB and iron. I have that same setup in a #603,604,604 1/2,605 and the 606. They are all Bedrocks but I thought they worked in all the Stanley planes(and the like). I'm no expert though! I'm sure you know what you're doing but can you move the frog back to open the throat? Just a thought.

Thanks Terry for getting back to me!

I'll back the frog a bit and see.I just didn't know if that was agood idea. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it works out .

Strangely enough I just posted about planes and then I saw this...

What a great job you did! And then you followed this up with a great explanation of how you did it.

I will go back and search for your other posts but how many old planes have you done and do you have any other recommendations for those of us who would like to try?

I NEED some good planes and I don't mind doing some hard work if I don't have to spend a mint to get them.

Thanks again and keep posting.

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

Hey Tim, I've done quite a few now. A few block planes(#140 skew,#118, and a #60 1/2)and even more bench planes(#3,#4,#7 and the Bedrocks you saw #603,#604,#604 1/2, #606 and a #607). I have to admit each one I've done has been better than the last with the #606 being the best yet. I guess I've got my own system down now. It might not be for everyone but it works for me. As for recommendations I would say try to buy planes that have more cosmetic damage than anything major(cracks and such). Rust is not an issue as long as it's not pitted and you're willing to put some time in with the sandpaper.
    All of the planes I use with any regularity are fitted with an "after-market" blade and chip breaker(Hock or Lie-Nielson). They'll cost you about $70.00US for both. The planes will certainly work with their old blade and chipbreaker (as they have for 100 years!)but there is no question to me it's the biggest upgrade you can make. I like the Bedrocks as you can tell but if you can't find a cheap one I would go for a 1940's or older Stanley and take it apart. Flatten the sides and sole then clean and oil everything. Add the Hock iron and chipbreaker and you're ready to roll!!

5. Very nice plane.

I always enjoy looking at old tools brought back to life. Your work is great!

Hey Garth. Congrats on the first post and welcome to the creek!!
    -Ryan C.

Nice Nice work Terry.
    You mentioned you did a 140 as well. I have one that wont behave as far as keeping the iron square and even in the mouth. Did you have this issue and how did you fix it.
    thanks
    Tim

Nope, didn't have an issue with that. It was all cosmetic. A fair amount of rust, little japanning left and no nickel on the cap. But a nice blade, side plate intact and original screws. She cleaned up real nice!

Very nice Terry!!