Roy, you have received some great advice from people here with a lot of experience. Your woodworking needs really depend more on what you plan to make than what tools are the "best." Each tool, whether power, hand or even, as one suggsted, furniture, are all dependent on what you will do with them once they're in your shop. Doing a search of this and other forums will give far more information than just the replys in this thread.

I'm facing the same problem as you are and I'm buying tools as I need them for a particular project, or when I can find a fantastic deal on a tool I know I will need. Due to the fact that my space is highly limited along with my money, some tools that I would love to have are going to have to wait until I move in a few years and hopefully by then I'll have recovered money wise from the purchases I've made this year. Yes, as many here know, I did spend a wad on a SawStop that I could have used for other tools. It's a purchase that I don't regret one bit. Now that I have some good tools and a little shop time, I'm now busy working on projects with the tools I have and I plan to take some classes on woodworking.