Thread: Japanning

Japanning

I've been trying japanning using asphaltum and am quite happy with the results. I've been re-japanning spokeshaves before attempting planes. In the picture, the top chamfer shave is original (no touch up by me) to give a comparison with the five shaves below that all have been re-japanned. All but the last are Stanleys. The last one is a Cincinnati Tool shave and I had to replace the handles that were missing. The method I have used is described by Todd Hughes & Sean Cullen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! Great work Phil. How difficult/easy was it? Did you strip off the old japanning and if so, how? I still would like to give that a try, yours look really nice!

Japanning

Thanks Terry. The process is easy and described by Sean Cullen in the article found at woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articles_117

I do go back to bare metal because often there are sharp edges where the old japanning has gone. The new japanning will not fill in those edges so it shows. I found that as time passed the mix got thicker as the turps evaporated, even in the closed jar. That improved the finish so I would alter Sean's method by leaving the mix unused for a week.

I get the asphaltum on ebay. It is an extremely fine powder so can get away from you if not gently handled - not a problem just a waste.

I put on the first coat and leave it overnight then apply a second coat. Then I bake it for an hour at 450 degrees. Doesn't smell as good as fresh baked bread but not horrible either. If it needs anothe coat I do it again.

It is definetly a stronger finish than any paint.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-15-2007 at 5:16 PM.

Great looking,original type finish!

It's user friendly and prevents rust, thanks for the effort and for passing on the information Phil. I'm going to try it on the #7 I rescued; I'd like to spiff it up in a low key way , all the more because I intend to use it a lot. BTW,my old (19o7) contractor-built craftsman style home, has a lot red fur wayne-scotting and boxed beams which were tinted with asphalt to tone down the broad cut grain pattern. At any rate that's what I hear from some local historical preservationist. Again ,thanks for sharing your efforts.<br><br>Regards Ralph<br>