Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting project, nice wood, bad design

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Way to go, Jeff! How do you like VO?
    Not sure....After four coats (3 of them sanded by hand with 400 paper) it still didn't have the sheen I thought it would have. Perhaps I'm not doing something correctly.

I have been using paper towel to apply it, get it good and soaked, and then start working it in with the sandpaper. I rewet if the paper starts drying it out. I sand for about 5-10 minutes and then I wipe the oil off with a dry paper towel. Then I let it sit for 24-48 hours and repeat.

After the fourth coat I tried buffing it (first by hand with a rag) and then with an ROS with the white 3M pad (ala Keith's suggestion). Didn't do a thing to it.

So I ended up putting some paste wax on it and then using the ROS. It seems that the paste wax leaves a bit of a film on there than can get smudgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Most what everyone else said: The top and bottom should match or at least have the same pattern...different size is cool. Orient the curly maple grain to match the ash grain (diff woods doesn't bother me).

The shape of the Zebra wood support is cool...I like it. Since the bottom is thicker than the top, the support carries that idea since it is wider at the bottom than at the top but the veritcal heaviness of the zebra disturbs my eye in trying to follow the support. I like the support shape, just not how you oriented it on the zebrawood.

As far as height, that is very subjective...I'll take your word on it!
    Are you thinking that the grain of the Zebra wood might have looked better if it was running horizontally? I hadn't even thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    I am a little concerned that the top could be, well top heavy but if there is enough weight in the bottom it won't.
    You could round the top. It takes practice, in the end if you get something that you like... it really doesn't matter what we think. Heck, most of us can't do much better anyways, right? Keep at it.
    Scott, thanks for the kind words. And yes it is your fault for getting me excited enough about a simple little design to go ahead and try something out of the ordinary. Thank you.

When you way I could round the top are you referring to the whole table-top or the edge of the tabletop?

As mentioned in a previous reply the table is not top heavy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Are you thinking that the grain of the Zebra wood might have looked better if it was running horizontally? I hadn't even thought about that.
    No, not horizontally but skewed a bit more (I don't know 15 degrees??) from where you had it.

However, horizontal might be interesting but a lot weaker from a structural point of view.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Not sure....After four coats (3 of them sanded by hand with 400 paper) it still didn't have the sheen I thought it would have. Perhaps I'm not doing something correctly.

I have been using paper towel to apply it, get it good and soaked, and then start working it in with the sandpaper. I rewet if the paper starts drying it out. I sand for about 5-10 minutes and then I wipe the oil off with a dry paper towel. Then I let it sit for 24-48 hours and repeat.

After the fourth coat I tried buffing it (first by hand with a rag) and then with an ROS with the white 3M pad (ala Keith's suggestion). Didn't do a thing to it.

So I ended up putting some paste wax on it and then using the ROS. It seems that the paste wax leaves a bit of a film on there than can get smudgy.
    I think with each coat of VO, you need to go to a finer and finer grit as you wet-sand. Maintaining the same grit, you aren't sanding out the previous grit's marks.

Say you "dry" sand to 320. Next, wet-sand with 400, wipe, let it cure. Then 600, then 800, etc. Maybe I'll go crazy and try a scrap piece of maple all the way to 1200 since I have that available to me.

Chris,

I think I'll give that a try. I am planning on buying a cheap ROS this weekend for the express purpose of using it for VO or other oils.

I think you'll want at least a variable speed one (run it at the lowest setting) and those tend to not be too cheap. Palm sanders are pretty cheap and are designed for finish sanding.

They sell "router speed controls" that basically limit the current to the router via a knob you turn. I've heard that can damage routers not designed for variable speed. I dunno if that is the case for ROS but if not, that might be a handy thing to have. I don't recall the price of the speed control box...maybe $30 so dunno if you come out ahead in the end.

A cheap variable speed ROS would probably be your best bet.

So you think a cheap variable speed ROS would be better than a palm sander?

Jeff my 2 cents

Wow love the zebra wood look. I think the grain in the base and the top should go in the same direction, and the top and bottom should have similiar shape. Another idea would be to have the top and bottom directly above each other with the zebra wood just like it is kind of a "Z" shape.

But really a very interesting table. Well done.

Dave,

Thanks for your input. I think you and some of the others are right about the grain direction. That thought had not entered my mind. I had cut the long board of curly maple I had into several pieces, glued them together, and then cut out a shape. The rest of the table developed from there.

Lots of good ideas from you guys. I seem to learn a few more things every time I log into the Creek.

So you think a cheap variable speed ROS would be better than a palm sander?
    Jeff,

I'm not sure to be honest. I have my pricey variable speed Festool 150/5 ROS but the issue with that is the dust extraction that it comes with. I don't think it can be simply turned off. After all, I don't want to suck up VO through the air channels of the Festool ROS (but the VO might be too heavy for this...not sure). However, I have all this nice Festool sandpaper...all the way to 1200! But, I think Festool *might* sell a different pad that I can use that doesn't have the holes for dust extraction...I'm not sure. Perhaps I can buy a pad and modify it. I don't know. One thing is for sure, the VO will gunk up the ROS pad over time...no doubt about that. I would, for sure, need a dedicated wet-sanding pad for my ROS.

As to the palm sander, I have one...a Makita that I picked up for probaby under $50. I don't want to buy MORE sandpaper for that since I can't easily use the ROS sandpaper on it (I could I guess but it seems silly).

My point...I think I will try to stick with the ROS...I think it will just work better overall but will take some effort to perfect.

Congratulations on creating an original design, and especially on all the new techniques you learned.

From everything I've read, professional woodworkers develop their ideas by working with prototypes. First on paper or with cardboard, then with cheap wood, and finally with good wood once they have all the kinks worked out.

It might take longer, but yields a much better result. After all, almost everything can be done better on the second attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Walker
    Congratulations on creating an original design, and especially on all the new techniques you learned.

From everything I've read, professional woodworkers develop their ideas by working with prototypes. First on paper or with cardboard, then with cheap wood, and finally with good wood once they have all the kinks worked out.

It might take longer, but yields a much better result. After all, almost everything can be done better on the second attempt.

Thomas,

You're absolutely right. I've often thought about that and then wondered, "What the heck to do I with all these prototypes?"

Perhaps find a neighbor with a wood burning stove?