Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Tips Or Tricks In Cutting A Bunch Of Round Bowl Blanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Don't want to hijack, but I think it's on topic....

I'm currently a non-bandsawer too, (18" husky and 14" craptastic electric to do all my blanks) but have considered getting a bandsaw. What method do you use to securely hold a blank while you trim corners and shape it? I'm having trouble with that.
    I'm probably going to get myself into trouble here but I have three heights of cutting blocks. Most of my logs are wedged with scraps to hold them steady and then cut with the flat side up with no problems. Once in a while I have to use my shortest cutting block and hold the blank with my foot. My blanks are usually no smaller than 8 to 10 inches so I am very careful on those.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    ...hold the blank with my foot...
    Yikes! I'm not brave enough to get my foot anywhere near the piece I'm cutting.

My back is killing me after hunching over to cut logs on the ground. I really need to build a sawbuck. I think I'll put some dogs in it to hold the blanks, but I'm not sure what a good design would be.

My back is killing me after hunching over to cut logs on the ground. I really need to build a sawbuck. I think I'll put some dogs in it to hold the blanks, but I'm not sure what a good design would be.
    Patrick,

This is the one I built thanks to a tip from Stu

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip33.htm
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I use three Logs of pine that are different lengths and about two feet in diameter, No back ache and believe me if there was one to be had I'd have it.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Just like Bernie I use heavy cardboard. I drew circles with a compass starting at 4" dia in increments of 2" diameter went up to 28". I cut the circles out with the bandsaw. When I use them I tack them to the half log with a long roofing nail and cut around the cardboard. If you want to mark the other side for drilling use the template and nail to center punch. I like cheap.
    Terry

Hey Bill. I think you got the basics down pat.

OK Jim......................... you just HAD TO RUB IT IN! I expect to have several "uncracked" (Samples) when Roger gets back from seeing you. BTW, we changed the itinery of our trip in November. At least we get into Peru, but, Still a long a way from you. I hear that you're being VERY nice to Roger. I wouldn't expect any less from a gentleman like you.

Can't wait to get some of your stuff in stock.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

WOW! Huge amount of blanks there!! Do you mean to tell me, they are just one months amount of bowl blanks?!?! Some nice looking timbers there
    Why do they say "an alarm going off," if it is really going on?

Joash

Joash: That is about about six weeks production of blanks and Bruce, if you get to Peru you have to come and see the Amazon , you will ebjoy it a lot.

Here is a photo of what we used to make our blanks with the chainsaw before we got a big band saw. It is made of scrap bloodwood and just sits together due to the weight without any fasteners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeh, Jim.

I'm sure I'd love it, but I'm afraid that this time, Lima is all I'll get to see. Looks like you're about 400 to 600 miles away.

Take care.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I use a round piece of cardboard, and a 3 hp bandsaw. Before I got this bandsaw, I used a chainsaw, and it worked pretty good.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"