Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hints or Suggestions for moving 1,100 pound jointer

I second the suggestion to use pipe rollers. I have used this method very frequently to move items effeciently with little effort. I used 2" PVC pipe cut up in 36" lengths to move an 8 person hotub into my backyard standing upright. Only took two of us to move it. I have also used this method to move some 750 pound safes by myself over 100 feet. You are better off using 2" pipe on grass. Three or four pipes will speed up the operation.

moving a 1100lb jointer.....

Might want to try this idea, I was in a similar situation moving a very large and heavy cast iron 2 cylinder compressor on a 60 gallon tank mounted to a wooden skid a couple of years ago myself. I called a friend who has a
    tow truck with a wheel lift attachment on it, he lowered the wheel lift to ground level, extended the boom out slightly, dropped the cable to hook up to the compressor, lifted it up sat it down on the wheel lift, raised the wheel lift, secured it to the truck and brought to my house and put it outside the shop right where I wanted it....all for $35.00. A heck of a good price with little or no hard work on me! Jim Heffner

next project?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene DiNardo View Post
    I recently had a similar predicament.
    First, it will come crated,possibly two. Get 4 2"x8"s 6-8 ft. long
    and 3 pieces of 3/4"black iron pipe about 3.5 ft long to use as rollers.
    Use the planks like railroad tracks, leapfroging two in front of the others
    till you get to where you are going.
    Use a 2X6 as a lever to raise one end enough to slip a pipe under then,
    lever the crate foward enough to teeter the crate on th roller and slip a second pipe under, roll foward till you can place the third, by then the first will roll out the back. Repeat the process, placing the two 2x8s in front of one another and placing a pipe under the front as you proceed.
    as long as the grade is not over about 25 or 30% should be no problem.
    Even if it gets away from you a little bit, it can only go till the second roller
    gets beyond the mid point of the crate.
    Take your time and think it through. With a helper you should be OK.
    My wife and I moved my 20" planer up 3 steps to my porch, another step into my living room, through the house and down a narrow set of stairs to the basement. We used a casket hoist braced from the doorjamb with a 4x4 to lower it down the stairs.
    Aside from a few cracked floor tiles in the kitchen it went pretty smooth.
    Guess what my next project is ??
    Good luck.
    Gene
    I would think it might be to add an outside entrance to the basement shop...Humm..... Jim Heffner

Quote Originally Posted by Gene DiNardo View Post
    I recently had a similar predicament.
    First, it will come crated,possibly two. Get 4 2"x8"s 6-8 ft. long
    and 3 pieces of 3/4"black iron pipe about 3.5 ft long to use as rollers.
    Use the planks like railroad tracks, leapfroging two in front of the others
    till you get to where you are going.
    Use a 2X6 as a lever to raise one end enough to slip a pipe under then,
    lever the crate foward enough to teeter the crate on th roller and slip a second pipe under, roll foward till you can place the third, by then the first will roll out the back. Repeat the process, placing the two 2x8s in front of one another and placing a pipe under the front as you proceed.
    as long as the grade is not over about 25 or 30% should be no problem.
    Even if it gets away from you a little bit, it can only go till the second roller
    gets beyond the mid point of the crate.
    Take your time and think it through. With a helper you should be OK.
    My wife and I moved my 20" planer up 3 steps to my porch, another step into my living room, through the house and down a narrow set of stairs to the basement. We used a casket hoist braced from the doorjamb with a 4x4 to lower it down the stairs.
    Aside from a few cracked floor tiles in the kitchen it went pretty smooth.
    Guess what my next project is ??
    Good luck.
    Gene
    Gene is right to the point. I did exactly that too: rolling on four 2x6's that you keep moving in pairs. I used 2" round wooden rollers. That's also how they move heavy motor stuff into crooked ship spaces. If there's a slope you will need a block and tackle too. Go slowly and think before every move.