Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat but don't know what to do with them.

Neat but don't know what to do with them.

They are making some changes at work to the sort system, the scanners that scan the packages, I work for Fedex.

Anyway they are changing out the frames around the scanners for a new system and I have ask and was told I could have some of the scrap.

It is really neat stuff and now I just have to come up with some ideas on what to do with it before it all goes to scrap yard and sold by the lb.

It is 3 inches square and the lengths are different all the way up to about 8 ft long. I have screws and nuts that fit in the slots or I could use a normal T-bolt. You can bolt it together in an L shape or T shape or a square if you wanted.
    As you can see in the picture there is a very small crown on the sides, they are not completely flat.

So who has some ideas on what to do with it, I just hate to see it go, it is really good stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

get em ground so they're square

use em for fences - router table etc

or....

don't get em ground square and use em for racks etc

my 2c

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

I regularly visit the industrial bone yard here and I got some extrusions very similar to what you have. I plan to make a new fence for my 18" BS and fashion "lugs" or square retainers that slide in the track and have a threaded hole to attach any accessories I can make from more "treasures" from the junk yard. I must admit that I bought it long before I had any clue what to use it for, but it will come in handy some day. Good luck, John.

Blog Entries
    They're great for DP fences.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That material looks almost just like a fence I recently installed on my table saw. It's an "Accusquare" fence made by Mulecab. It's a very nice fence.

Indeed, I can tell you from experience those pieces will make great fence material in your shop.

If you go to the Reid Supply catalog and see what that stuff sells for, you will certainly find some use for it.

Bill.

Grab it!! It's good for all sorts of things. Fences and such. It's also precision milled, so it should be a dead straight reference edge unless it's been stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    That material looks almost just like a fence I recently installed on my table saw. It's an "Accusquare" fence made by Mulecab. It's a very nice fence.

Indeed, I can tell you from experience those pieces will make great fence material in your shop.
    You are going to love that fence, that is what I have and I am very happy with it. The only thing I wish it has was a micro adjustment.

You may want to take a look at this post of my stop block.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57453
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like an easy way to make a drying rack for spray finishing (adjustable shelves/hooks etc.) or storage when cutting lots of smaller pieces for a big project.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Bill
    The "crown(s)" are pretty much self cancelling, in that the slots are prestressed that way on both sides of each slot. Put a plate on the side for a fence "slider" at it will be square. Snatch up all you can carry, you'd likely be amazed at all you can do with that stuff.

Visit www.8020plus.com for all kinds of ideas and accessories.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    You are going to love that fence, that is what I have and I am very happy with it. The only thing I wish it has was a micro adjustment.

You may want to take a look at this post of my stop block.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57453
    Very nice work, Bill. I'm thinking I should build the same type of stop block. It'll give me a reason to visit the Denver Rockler again.

I see your fence is gold. I've also seen blue. For some reason, mine is the only Accusquare I've ever seen in black. This sometimes makes it difficult to see if I'm properly aligning what I'm cutting against the fence. I wrote Mulecab about it. Their answer was, "Mark the fence with a white, felt-tip marker". This answer seems kind of strange to me, but I guess I should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Bill.

Grab it!! It's good for all sorts of things. Fences and such. It's also precision milled, so it should be a dead straight reference edge unless it's been stressed.
    I think they are extrusions and don't think they are milled. Milling those things would bring the prices on those things sky-high. But I could be wrong....wouldn't be the first time.

Gary K.

Several companies offer extruded aluminum profiles and systems. They really don't give this stuff away. Sounds like a good opportunity. The uses are endless. Do a search for 8020, Bosch, and Item extruded aluminum for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    I think they are extrusions and don't think they are milled. Milling those things would bring the prices on those things sky-high. But I could be wrong....wouldn't be the first time.

Gary K.
    Yep. They are extrusions. But they have to pass the straightness QC before being sold. And a lot of mid quality levels are made from aluminum extrusions. Straightness is almost good enough for metal milling, should be great for woodworking. In fact I think a lot of the aftermarket fences are extruded without a final milling.