Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentleman's box

Gentleman's box

I made this box for Archie Griffin, the 2 time heisman trophy winner from OHIO STATE.

I met Archie last fall when I went back to Columbus for a football game. What a nice guy !

The box is made from Paduck and Flamed maple. Oiled and waxed. No problems with the paduck at all, and the maple looks better in person than it does in the picture.

Any comments are welcomed, positive or negative. I want to do better!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

Beautiful job, Mark! And even in the right colors...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice

Mark -

NIIIICE!!!. It looks exceptional in the photos, so in person, it must be spectactular.

Any though about sticking some <a href="http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/infobuckeye.htm">"buckeye" </a> wood in the piece somewhere?

Ted

Mark, Very nice!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Purty! Are the splines Paduak as well? For my eyes, a third one would be better.

Also, for jewelry boxes, I always like to make the center panel proud of the frame anywhere from a 1/16 to 3/16" depending on how thick the figured wood is. In this case, the color of the panel is nice but the figure isn't as interesting as the frame in which it sits.

Overall, gorgeous box and nicely put together.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Very nice box, nice clean lines.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Too Nice for words!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Wow, that's really nice. Well done. Can you tell up where you got the logo?

That looks awesome! My FIL would have been proud. He was THE biggest Buckeye fan I every met and when he died of luekemia, the family almost buried him in the official OSU casket, but the cost was outrageous.

My only problem with it is until 2 years ago I lived my entire life as a Hoosier, so down with the Buckeyes! LOL And before you make any comments about my FIL having a Hoosier for a SIL, it gets even worse....My wife's brother married a Wolverine!!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi
    I made this box for Archie Griffin, the 2 time heisman trophy winner from OHIO STATE.

I met Archie last fall when I went back to Columbus for a football game. What a nice guy !

The box is made from Paduck and Flamed maple. Oiled and waxed. No problems with the paduck at all, and the maple looks better in person than it does in the picture.

Any comments are welcomed, positive or negative. I want to do better!
    Mark, Nice work! I bet that's something he will treasure.
    Be Blessed!

I don't have a box. Does that mean I'm not a gentleman?

Sure is purdy!

Oh wait, I've got some particle board, I'm going to go make myself a box so I can be a gentleman too!

Just kidding, beautiful wood and beautiful work.

Mark, I like it. The details on the inside look nice. Quality job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    I don't have a box. Does that mean I'm not a gentleman?

Sure is purdy!

Oh wait, I've got some particle board, I'm going to go make myself a box so I can be a gentleman too!

Just kidding, beautiful wood and beautiful work.
    Good thing I read this post, I got a softball game tonight and need to get my stuff together. Musn't forget the important piece :-)

Beautiful box Mark. I really like contrasting woods.

May I suggest, when using two woods that contrast that much, perhaps a small paduak band on the sides just under the top, and/or a small maple inlay in the top center would break up the large areas of differing woods and tie it all together. Just a thought, not criticism, the box as it stands is beautiful.

Tony
    Tony

Beautiful box, Mark. If you don't mind me asking, what finish did you use? I'm in the middle of building a TV stand / Entertainment center, and used Padauk for the frame and edging for the top. At this point, I'm not sure what finish would be best, and would love to hear what worked for you.