Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper yes no?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft View Post
    Let the suggestions begin!! And thank you to all who contribut ideas!!!
    Well I know many won't agree, but the best thing me and my wife of 20 somethng years did was to split checking accounts. She has hers and I have mine. Each payday we pool the money for the bills and what's left over is ours. We also have a joint savings for times when we need to replace major appliances or go on vacation, etc, etc.

It's turned out to be the best thing we ever did, did it about 12 years ago. When she wants to spend money on plants and things that us tool guys see as a waste, who cares, it's hers and her money. When I drag home a new/used tool or an old car carcass she could careless, it's my money.

Kyle,
    Buy it. You will use it IF the tooling is there and in good order.

Just Do It.

Get the shaper & then put a nice Steff power feed on it.

Well, I'm certainly considering all y'alls wisdom on this. I was thinking if I bought it and didn't really use it that I probably could sell the package for what I paid for it.

Can you purchase custom profile cutters for shapers? I would assume so, but I haven't researched it. The custom molding route may be a way to help with the payback.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Kyle,

You need a moonlighting business venture. Sounds like you might already have a lead on starting something.

There is several advantages to this. One is you get to use your business venture as an excuse to buy new tools and equipment. Second is you can deduct tool purchases from your taxes when you have a business.

My wife is keeps asking my how my Griz 1023SL table saw fits into my electrical contracting business . As well as my Kreg pocket hole tool, my planer, all my nail guns and so many other tools that I have which have nothing to do with my business.

Check to see if part of the tooling is a head to hold profiled knife steel.

Older ones are called bevel edge. They are generally safe for smaller profiles. It is possible to freehand grind your own profiles for these once you understand the geometry and if you keep them balanced.

Newer ones use corrugated back steel, like moulder heads. They are available to run taller profiles, like crown, and support the knives better. You can run shorter knives in long pockets, so very versatile. A Veil grinder can do custom profiles (if you are patient, and can find one used).

Euro style multi profile heads have chip limiters, so they are safer for freehand (non-feeder) shaping. I don't have direct experience with them, but I know several people here do.

You can get custom profiles ground by many different vendors. Avoid cheap heads - they are not worth it...
    JR

I betcha 80% of the work my shaper does is copy shaping curved leg parts with a jig (pic attached) and that alone makes it worth it

The other picture shows the difference in size between router bits and shaper cutters. The straight bit and bearing I use mostly is 3" high... wouldn't want to do that on a router table.

FYI the straight bit and bearing was ~$150. Single profile bits such as a lock mitre joint can be had for under $100 @.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Once again, thanks for the responses. I checked out the links from Brian, and was amazed at the variety of tooling available for shapers. Never paid much attention to the stuff until now.

I went and had a look at the machine Friday, and it is not a Canadian machine, but a 3hp. Taiwanese import similar to Grizz and many others. Not a brand I was familiar with, but I don't think that is too much of a concern, as I know firsthand that many of the parts are interchangeable with current brands. A buddy used some Jet gears to add the second feed speed to his 15" no-name planer, and they dropped right in. As the old saying goes, they're all made in the same factory, but they go down different paint lines.

The gentleman showed me all the tooling, 1/2", 3/4", and 1" spindles, 1/4" & 1/2" router bit collets, wrenches, etc..

Are there any particulars to look for, like a certain fence design, lift mechanism, controls or whatever?
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.