Thread: Playing with the Table Saw

1. Smile Playing with the Table Saw

Our daughter read too many fancy-dancy ladies magazines this winter and I got hooked into a wainscoting project. This (assuming the picture actually shows up) is one of three walls I did the other day in her 1835 farmhouse. This is a serpentine wall and the pitch of the floor changes, well several times along the way.

Lumber is the usual junk from HD and use maple ply for the panels.

I made it up while I was going along (usual). Still have 10 fingers left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Curvy and Sexy!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Curvy & sexy are now synonyms for character? LOLOL
    As a child we lived in a circa 1850 home what was full of sexy walls, windows & doors in retrospect then!
    Looks good... so now are ya on the hook for painting? I'd like to see some painted sexy curves....LOLOLOL

Jeff, Really nice job there! I hate working on old houses.

Very nice and it must have been fun taking the scenic route with that wall. Stain is planned?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

6. Very nice work!

Your wide caps and base boards really accent the wide-plank flooring. Excellent job. Great design.

8. Thanks all. The girl says that she is going to do the Felon Martha Stewart deal and PAINT it. Sheesh.

I fussed about trying to 'plan' this project longer than it took to do it. What I finally figured out was (due to the floor wandering around) was to use a laser and make my own level. Then I struck a horizontal line along the beam. Next was to measure from the line to the floor at varying intervals and transfer the measurements to the base mould. So at least the base was straight and level. The rest of it was just putting in parts. Hard to see in the pics, the but serpentine part of it were angles which turned out just by SWAG to be about 9 degrees, which turned out to be about right.

Yesterday I was looking at the doorways. Since the house has really nifty old casings on all the frames and windows, I routed out some caps for the new kitchen and plan to glue then in. Tried to nail one in, but with about 2 1/2 inches of clearance to the ceiling, no room to swing a hammer.

Never done any architectural stuff before, mostly furniture. After this one, I'd have to be pretty hungry to do this kind of work for a living in an old house.

But gosh, what you do for your kids: Priceless.