Thread: Toola 32mm line boring machine

Toola 32mm line boring machine

I desperately need to move from manual shelf pin hole drilling to a small line borer. Have looked at the Conquest Mini13, but I rather like the power & features of Toola's little beastie. Has anyone used their equipment? Can you comment on quality or service? Many thanks. The machine I'm angling for is here:

http://www.toolawoodworking.com/BT13.html

Bob, the website doesn't give a price on this machine, and doesn't answer one very important question: do the bits come with this machine (the picture doesn't show the bits installed)? The Delta machine is comparable - main diff is a 3/4hp motor and 1725rpm spindle rotation, and only 2" stroke (but how many times are you going to bore even two inches for shelf pins?). We have the Delta machine in our shop, and it is more than adequate for drilling oak, maple, and cherry.

The Delta machine is available at Woodworker's Supply for $1329.99, BUT the bits are $17.49 EACH, and the machine requires 13 of them. That's the big catch--buying the bits.

By the way, the Delta will not only accommodate the 5mm bits, but there are also 1/4" bits available for it.

Take a look.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

bob, i bought one of these about six months ago and it works extremely well - far superior than any manual line boring jig!

http://timberlinetools.com/Delta_32_...%2032-325b.htm

Nancy: Thanks. Any line borer can take 5mm or 1/4" (my preference) bits -- the shanks of both are a standard 10mm. Very few come with bits. I can get CMT bits for about $6 a pop, no biggie.

The toola's only about $1250 delivered. Substantially cheaper than the Conquest, about the same as the Delta (which may be made by Conquest?). Much bigger motor, has some clever-looking features. Just would love someone who has used to to give a look-and-feel assessment before I dive in.

ETA: Frank -- I've heard rumors the Delta uses plastic spindle gears; certainly their various spec pages don't mention steel helical gears like the Conquest or Toola boast. Is that the case? I have this thing about plastic gears....
    Last edited by Bob McGovern; 06-15-2007 at 12:18 PM.

bob, the gears are plastic. whatever you decide will still be a MASSIVE improvement over manual drill or router boring. BTW i don't use the centering pins on the delta, rather i rely on the fence stops and set them up so that they bore an equal distance from the ends of a 774mm end panel. you should be able to do the same with the conquest or the toola.
    Last edited by frank shic; 06-15-2007 at 8:46 PM.