Before carving the B&C feet, I sculpted the upper legs. Notice the “extra meat” I left on the knee section for the carving elements that will be added here later.

The client’s husband is a very talented draftsman and they designed all the carving elements and submitted them to me in full scale drawings.

This made it easy to transfer the layout to the aprons.

Next I cut all the lower profiles on the rails and checked the dry fit.

I finished all the rest of the parts, cut and fit the arm rests, the wings, and cut all the mortise and tenons. Here is the final dry fit including all the upholsterer’s bars.

I cut all the fabric rabbets around the seat rails, and then made a simple platform to allow me to transfer the rabbets to the upper legs.

The arm riser and arm both curved on two planes and then the carving elements were transferred using carbon paper.

This is actually when I stopped and carved the Ball and Claw feet. Then I cut the outlines for the edge beading and outlined the carving elements using a Dremel and a Stewart Mac mini-base.

After a couple practice runs on each of the elements, I began to carve.

Here all four rails are completed except the end zones, where they will be blended into the legs after glue up.