Thread: The demo/reno has begun!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    It has now come time to getting around to renovating the inside of the old attached garage since the new detached garage is serving us so well. The area of the garage is roughly 27’ X 27’ and will be a nice size for what we want from it. The plan is to first level out the floor by bevel ripping floor joists of varying widths to match the depth needed (to match the pitch of the floor) and applying them over top of a moisture barrier and installing hard foam insulation board in between the joists for warmth. A hardwood floor will eventually be installed and I will enjoy building a nice big bar for entertaining friends and relatives as well as some build-in book cases and window seats. I have always known that I would want a pool table when the room is complete and that will find its way into the plan as well as a dart board and a nice sized television for watching the weekly NASCAR racing.

Picture 1 shows an old North facing window that was eliminated due to its lack of light from its orientation. The bar will be going against this wall anyway so windows would have been in the way. The back door to the room will need to be raised to accommodate the raising/leveling of the floor. You can see that the outside renovation work necessitated window and door opening resizing. And you can also see one of my recent shop projects – a trio of what I call arbor style clothes line supports. Constructed out of cedar and having vinyl lattice panels in between for supporting flowery vines in the summer months. I’ve got 2X4’s nailed temporarily to their bottoms to keep them from racking. I hope to install them out in the yard within the next month or so.

Picture 2 is just another shot of the pre-demo work.

Picture 3 still another shot of pre-demo work (North wall)

Picture 4 Demolition has begun! This is the door leading into the family room and the main portion of the house. Ripping down the drywall was easy enough and hopefully will be the messiest.

Picture 5 is the front of the room where the old garage door openings were. Sorry for the darkness. I installed two pair of side by side Anderson double hung units in the center of the old openings. I plan on installing a built in bookshelf unit between the two pair of windows.

Again, I'm not sure of the order of pic posting.
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 03-27-2004 at 3:34 PM.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!