Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon vs Steel City 14" Bandsaw?

Rikon vs Steel City 14" Bandsaw?

I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw.

Right now with Woodcraft's 10% sale I can get the Rikon Deluxe (10-325) for $737 with tax.

The Steel City one (50100) is $706 from ToolKing which includes shipping.

From what I can see the difference between the two is Rikon has a fence but then I've read reviews that the fence isn't very good and some are posting they will replace it anyway.

Any suggestions, the 10% sale is only good at Woodcraft till Saturday {7/28}, so I need to decide.

Thanks,
    Phil

Personally I would go with the Steel City. I have the 18" bandsaw and their drill press. Great quality and a pleasure to use.

DT

I see that the Steel City requires a riser block to equal the clearance of the Rikon. About another 90 bucks.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    Any suggestions, the 10% sale is only good at Woodcraft till Saturday {7/28}, so I need to decide.

I would first call your local Woodcraft before the sale. From what I remember, Steel City will not permit retailers to further discount their tools.

Of course, I could be mistaken, but it's worth a phone call.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure the SCTW is a great saw but you'll need the riser block to cut any height. This may not be an issue depending on what you will do with the saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Steel City would be from Toolking.com.

From what I see online, Woodcraft doesn't have Steel City bandsaws.

For the extra expense of the riser block I guess I'll go with Rikon.

Phil

This month's Woodworker's Journal compares the top ten 14" bandsaws. Steel City and Rikon are included.

George
    2B1ASK1

got the Rikon 14" deluxe and...

...nothing wrong with the fence. Maybe not the best but good enough for my needs. Can be left in normal upright position for cuts about 4" thick or so. Can also be positioned 90 degrees over to get up close to the blade on thinner stock. Put a "Woodslicer" blade on it and resaw to your hearts content.

I purchased the Rikon and am a happy camper.I had read in the past alignment issues when adding a riser block some of the time to various saws. I was looking to resaw logs so the height was important in my decision. Supporting your local store isnt a bad idea. Get a woodcraft credit card and the 4% off will buy you a new blade.

Blog Entries
    In the latest issue of woodcraft journal magazine the Rikon was names the best band saw out of all that were tested. I don't know if you have put your hands on one yet but the Rikon is a top notch setup.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Smile I think I have made my mind.

Thanks everyone.

I'll go with the Rikon. I'll also benefit from picking up at the local Woodcraft store as opposed to having the Steel City sent freight.

I just wish I could get a 5 year warranty on the Rikon!

I'll go there tomorrow and put more on my charge card. I'm like a kid in a toy store when I go there, but then I think we all are!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw.

Right now with Woodcraft's 10% sale I can get the Rikon Deluxe (10-325) for $737 with tax.

The Steel City one (50100) is $706 from ToolKing which includes shipping.

From what I can see the difference between the two is Rikon has a fence but then I've read reviews that the fence isn't very good and some are posting they will replace it anyway.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Why not go up about a hundred and get something like the 17" grizzly g0513? Its 795 before shipping and would give you an extra 3" depth of cut. It will handle a 1/8th blade if you need to go that narrow. I've heard nothing but good things about that model. If you want to same some, they have the cast iron frame saws at about 470 shipped.

The 2-speeds and 13" resaw capability are why I'd go with the Rikon.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

That's about $150 more, sure is nice but then all of it could be a nightmare with the freight company.

BTW, I have to say I've had better luck with freight companies than UPS!

UPS is only good for light weight items that are packed well!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino View Post
    Why not go up about a hundred and get something like the 17" grizzly g0513? Its 795 before shipping and would give you an extra 3" depth of cut. It will handle a 1/8th blade if you need to go that narrow. I've heard nothing but good things about that model. If you want to same some, they have the cast iron frame saws at about 470 shipped.

I have a silly question for those of you with the Rikon...

Do you remember roughly how big the box it came in was? I'm thinking of jumping on the Woodcraft 10% off sale this weekend, but I may have a transportation issue. Thanks!