Thread: Louisiana Inquires --- PLEASE HELP !!

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Louisiana Inquires --- PLEASE HELP !!

It is apparent that some coverage on FPP has occured in Baton Rouge, LA.

I received e-mails requesting free kits and some mail requesting further information.

Can someone steer me to the source of the information so I can make sense of what occurred. Especially the part about a "lathe" in the first e-mail example.

Some of these e-mails were somewhat confusing, making them tough to respond to re:
    - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - - -
    "I have no lathe--I can provide-- some --wood to help make the pens myself--I haven't used a lathe in years, but would like to help.
    I have no funds to do this on my own--I have no credit to rely on, and do not want to go further into debt.
    I would like to obtain the lathe through you to help you out with this project, without having to take out a loan. I have wanted to work with wood forever now!!!
    Please let me know if there is someway you can assist me in doing this--I would really like to help.
    Thankyou,"
    - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - - -

"I am a Louisiana Woodturner. Please let me know how to get involved in this project. I saw a little blip on Baton Rouge TV about it tonight and would like to volunteer some of my time. Just fill me in on how to get started and I will see what I can do to provide my share of pens."
    i am interested in a pen for my cousin. he is in iraq right now with the la
    army reserve unit. send me info plz so that i can get him one.
    thanks

It isn't a great big deal - just something I deal with on a daily basis. I have responded to these e-mails as best I can. However if anyone has any information as to what was broacasted there it would help me in any further comunications I do receive.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-31-2004 at 6:26 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken, I don't live anywhere Baton Rouge, so I don't know about a blip on the news, but if I had to guess, the lathe issue is probably from someone who saw an incomplete story or description of the Ft Worth Woodcraft pen turning gig where a lathe was given away.

BubbaBob

Louisiana Inquiries

There was a story on WAFB-TV in Baton Rouge arranged by one of our members. That must be the source of the info. The member posted a message about his TV appearance. I'll do some further searching.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Baton Rouge Poster

Our member Bobby McCarley appeared on WAFB-TV yesterday. Perhaps he can help you.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Hey Ken,
    The news story was done by me last night on WAFB-TV on a section by Tumey's Travels. I'm glad its created some interest in our area. I don't know about the lathe though. The only contact that I have recieved is a call this morning from a lady who had some pen kits that she said she would send me for the FPP. I told Mr. Toomey they could post my phone number to contact me but it wasn't used. If anyone else contacts you I have no problem with you steering them my way.

You can log on to their web site, wafb.com, and click on Tumey's Travels on the left. They will have a short transcript of the interview. I just checked the site but they don't have it posted yet.

Also, I was contacted by a Joe Kelly who seen the article I did in the paper. He is interested in helping. He just bought a new mini lathe and I will be helping him learn to turn pens. He came over to my shop and turned two pens on my lathe and he's hooked. So he will probably be contacting you about kits.

Carl,
    Thanks for your support with the project and the blanks that you are offering. I hope we can get some more people in Louisiana involved.

Thanks,
    Bobby McCarley
    Last edited by Bobby McCarley; 03-31-2004 at 2:06 PM.

Ken,
    This is nothing more than the way I am reading the first message. But it simply appears that this person is looking for as much help as they can get directly from this group. them not knowing just what we have in the way of resorce support and needing to get equipped from scratch adn all. I would just let them know what resources we do have available. and maybe direct them to other sources for the rest. In the event low priced or Free lathes become available please let me know first though Im sure there are plenty of us that wold take advantage of that type of resource.
    Actuallly with all the messages about new turners over the FPP. I have been trying to wrap my mind around the idea of supporting the purchase of lathes etc. Of course at this point the flow would still need to be steadier. but the idea is not in the realm of rediculose for me. So maybe sometime in the future this request would not be so confusing.
    Daniel