Thread: Laminate or Hardwood floor in a master bath?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Matt,
    Next time you visit a Borg take a close look at Pergo or any laminate flooring. It looks like a micro thin coating of vinyl on Masonite. When I did the looking, the thinness of the vinyl made me nervous. I have seen Masonite that has been exposed to moisture for a long period, it "ain't" pretty.
    Leigh sounds like the voice of, at least second hand, experience. I would get a few more opinions and make my judgment from that.
    I hate doing major upgrades a second time in the same house.
    David B

I've actually already got a laminate floor in my office in the house which I installed after installing a really cheap one in my shop office and having it hold up great for over a year after some pretty serious abuse--dirt, sawdust, grinding dust, melted snow, etc so I'm pretty familiar with its construction and installation. I'm with you on the second install, especially since this floor will run under cabinets, a clawfoot tub and a toilet.

We also have an engineered floor in our foyer and hallway. We've had a few emergencies due to a toilet overflow twice , and a washing machine malfunction. Water ran out of the laundry room and got on and under that floor with no ill effects, presumably since it was cleaned up quickly.

Part of the reason for rethinking the tile is the color we chose, but we also had tile in our kitchen at our last house. It is cold, hard, more difficult to clean, and we ended up with several cracked tiles where stuff was dropped (probalby not as much of a problem in a bathroom.) And I'm a little worried about the weight of the clawfoot tub cracking tiles.

Vinyl is pretty durable, especially in a bathroom where knives aren't getting dropped on it, but I worry that it will make the room feel cheap. I've also seen it get yellowed by a rubber-backed rug or bath mat sitting on it at both our house and my parents' house. Our vinly floors are over 15 years old and still look great though so maybe we need to go look at vinyl at a real flooring store?

What is a Borg

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Matt,
    Next time you visit a Borg take a close look at Pergo or any laminate flooring. It looks like a micro thin coating of vinyl on Masonite. When I did the looking, the thinness of the vinyl made me nervous. I have seen Masonite that has been exposed to moisture for a long period, it "ain't" pretty.
    Leigh sounds like the voice of, at least second hand, experience. I would get a few more opinions and make my judgment from that.
    I hate doing major upgrades a second time in the same house.
    I notice this in a number of posts - What is a BORG?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Moyer View Post
    Big Orange Retail Giant (HD) OR
    Big Ole Retail Giant (Lowe's, Wally World, HD, etc.)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Moyer View Post
    You need to be a Startrek fan (next generation flavor) to fully appreciate the Borg analogy! "you must be assimilated"

One advantage would be there's probably a lot of 7 of 9's out there!