Thread: How do I paint wood to look like metal?

How do I paint wood to look like metal?

Hi,
    I have a piece of old wood that was painted with aluminum paint at least 50 years ago. It is on the Delta 6" jointer I inhereted from my father. The paint looks tacky at this point. I have sanded off almost all of the old paint.

There are some parts of the wood that have the look and feel of hairline cracks, especially near the edges (not cracks, it is really the wood grain). I don't have a clue about the wood. It looks and feels like very pale mahogany.

I would like to paint this again so it looks like paint over metal. I remember doing this in the past while working my way through school. The man I was working with did the intelligent stuff. I did the grunt stuff so I don't remember how it was done.

I do know we used some VERY thick "paint" as a primer. It wasn't as thick as toothpaste but it sure was more viscous than paint. We "painted," sanded and then did final painting. It was an instrument for an experiment set up to be used by grad students. The machine looked like it was enameled metal.

I just threw that stuff in. I don't care how I get the look, I would just like to have the look.

Thanks for any help, guidance, suggestions or whatever.

Enjoy,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 07-30-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

The stuff sounds like Gesso (sp.) White and water based.
    Artists use it to prime canvas etc., it's a lot like drywall compund but finer and will sand smooth.

search for 'grain filler'
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Blog Entries
    www.kilz.com This stuff was used in a shop makeover by Workbench Mag. Rolled onto MDF and Masonite (sanded with 120). For other woods, pre-seal with de-waxed shellac or your favorite sealer. Looks great. http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have used 2 different methods
    1. Bondo - spread it thin then sand it smooth. Works real well with wood.
    2. Spackle - Works real well as a grain filler if you are going to paint. I have used it for quite a few projects.
    You can get a smooth finish with either one. Spackle is easier to sand.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

John beat me to it - bondo will do pretty much exactly what you want.

Hi,

Thanks a million for the ideas. I can't believe that I didn't think of some of them on my own. My wife paints (art, not walls) and has gesso. When I was younger one of my very good friends father had a car body shop so I should have known about Bondo. I use spackle on walls, etc. but never thought of using it on wood, other than door molding. The grain filler also sounds like it would do the job.

My poor senile brain thanks you for waking it up again.

Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Jim,
    You could also try Hammerite (sp?), a paint that looks kind of like galvanized metal (spangled) but in colors as well as silver. About ten years ago, one of the mags did their idea shop cabinets with it and it looked just like metal cabinets.
    Mike

MelloSheen , Not sure of the spelling, but this is a thick paint that will float all the grain marks out.

When remodeling a house built in 1930, I decided that I didn't like the black registers. Looking around, I found a spray that finishes like hammered metal. I used some on smooth wood and it looked the same.

I believe it was at Menards.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Blog Entries
    You might try this on some scrap. Spray a black base and let it dry. Then spray a grey or silver coat over the top then quickly drag plastic wrap in one direction over the wet paint. This is the method used to create a marble effect. The difference is you wrinkle the plastic and lift it off. You could also try a soft brush instead of the plastic. Using different materials will create different effects. The same goes for choices of paint. Good luck.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.