Thread: Hammer J/P Gloat

Hammer J/P Gloat

I have been looking at and researching J/P's for about a year now and two weeks ago at AWFS the Hammer rep made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the show model, 12" Hammer A3-31 J/P. It arrived today and now I just have to wait for some friends to come over and help me get it off the trailer. I was down to the MM and the Hammer but at $3545 delivered to MN including the mobile base and the digital hand wheel I decided it was time to bite the bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats, Paul! That's going to be one of your favorite machines in the shop...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congratulations Paul! That is a beauty!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Congrats mate. You made a wise choice.

Very very nice looking machine. Did you need the space savings of the all in one machine?

That price is a grand less than my Delta DJ30 and Delta DC580 seperate machines on the clearence deals from amazon. Great price!!!! Also, Heavy duty bases are EXPENSIVE!!! $250 for the DC580 base from HTC (holds 1000lbs).

You did very good on this buy. What does the digital hand wheel do for you?

Hi Paul,

Congrats on the machine! I just placed an order for the same unit last week -- I have to wait until October/November for delivery but I cannot wait and I am sure that it will all be worth it! Please keep us posted on how it works once you have put it through its paces.

Did you get any of the extension tables? BTW, Felder is having a sale in November on accessories so you might wait until then to add them if not. I think that this applies to replacement knives too.

Mike -- the digital handwheel allows you to get exact readouts on the planer table when raising and lowering the height -- you can get repeatability with this set-up to .001 of an inch once calibrated. I believe that there are some brands that fit other machines (one for your Delta I am sure) that will give you similar performance. A little easier than relying on the scales and making a lot of trial cuts if you have to go back to a previous set-up.

Paul, congrats again on your new machine!

Scot

As important as repeatability is the ability to measure from one pass to the next how much is being taken off. Most planers give you, at best, a rough guess how much the next cut will remove.

Paul, Congratulations on the new j/p.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinneberg View Post
    I have been looking at and researching J/P's for about a year now and two weeks ago at AWFS the Hammer rep made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the show model, 12" Hammer A3-31 J/P. It arrived today and now I just have to wait for some friends to come over and help me get it off the trailer. I was down to the MM and the Hammer but at $3545 delivered to MN including the mobile base and the digital hand wheel I decided it was time to bite the bullet.
    I got that same machine. It is a really sweet tool.

I had such reservations about a combo JP being able to hold the table settings after repeated cycles from Jointer to Planer but it's solid as a rock.

hi Paul, Congrats on the machine and the gloat. It is a tough choice between the MM and Hammer. You did make a good choice. I do really like this machine having operated a lot for a months. Lot of value for the money.
    take care,
    John

11. Congrats, on the machine.

Digital handwheel is very handy

I have the 16" Felder J/P with the digital handwheel and really like the arrangement. It makes it very easy to repeat settings.

It is a great machine.