Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon shipping

It really is just hit and miss - I placed an order last night at 8:37 pm after struggling to find an another item to push the total over $25, and received a shipment notice before I came to work today. My expierence has been 3-5 business days in the past, however I did notice this time they are shipping the items USPS so that may explain some of the discrepencies in shipping delays

I have the amazon prime also.
    2-3 days max usually.
    If I get something within a week I'm happy

Professor Dr. SWMBO and I order so much from Amazon that the Prime memberhsip was totally a no-brainer...and the "girlie-girls" get their Bollywood DVDs quicker...

The deal at Amazon's new Endless.com shoe store is even better...they pay YOU $5 for overnight shipping....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Professor Dr. SWMBO and I order so much from Amazon that the Prime memberhsip was totally a no-brainer...and the "girlie-girls" get their Bollywood DVDs quicker...

The deal at Amazon's new Endless.com shoe store is even better...they pay YOU $5 for overnight shipping....
    Jim you just raised a question from me, I've looked at ordering from Amazon UK before, but don't know all the ins and outs (some music not available here). When your refering to Bollywood, are you refering to it in the typical (India) sense, or was it a typo?
    It be nice to know that prime allowed overseas shipping or not.

Randell, Bollywood in the literal sense relative to the material...my girls love the musical/dance movies, especially those by Ashawaya Rai. Everything we order ships from and to the US. AmazonUK's policies may be different...but I suspect that whatever you can order is specific to your region including music and DVD movies. If you are in the UK, your video format is different, but even then, the movies are coded and most players restrict playback to material coded with the correct regional setting. (Region one for the US, for example)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,

No Missouri is my local. While DVD's are region coded, there are ways around that (even cheap players from Wallyworld) and I use an OS that caused the DVD dcma ruckus (Linux, no purchasable, legal dvd player). Music was my interest. Those stores that have the "import" catalogs, aren't actually imports in most cases. Kinda like legalese, it makes you want to slap somebody in the back of the head, for not using the language in a clear and understandable way. (found out when I tried to order an import from Germany, finally found here over three years later).

This is actually a very complex topic, but in general it likely works this way. The orders are typically picked in "waves," of say 500 at a time released to the warehouse floor. They will want to pick the Prime and Paid for Shipping orders first, as a matter of policy, so they will be released first. If there are not 500 Paid orders available for the wave, they will fill in with the oldest Free Shipping orders to reach 500. If there are more than 500, your Free Shipping order sits until the next wave is released. Say they release a wave to the floor every hour (hypothetically), during that hour new Shipping Paid orders are accumulating, so for the next wave it is a crapshoot once again.

But their software will have an "ageing" checker that will push your Free Shipping order into a wave if it is such-and-such old (maybe 2-3 days). So you are not delayed forever, and you may get lucky, depending on when your order hits. An oversimplification, but pretty much how it probably works. Hope this makes some sense.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

I only use the free shipping, and get most things on the third day following order. What I really hate is when they say shipped, and it means that they have notified carrier to come by and pick up item. With USPS, I usually have item in hand befroe tracking shows it in hub at Greensboro. I love what my bank does with checks, for a princely sum, they include a tracking # (USPS). Don't fall for that one. It only tells you where your checks were before they lost them. Arrive with standard shipping in two days. How much quicker can the shipping be? This past week US Airways lost two, (TWO) children on a flight from west coast to RDU. Supposed to have someone from airline meet them at connecting point, but didn't. Flight manifest showed them on plane, but when they called their dad, they were stranded in the airport.

Reviving this thread

I just placed an order on Amazon with super saver shipping, and when I placed it the estimates were a week to 10 days. The system now says the estimate for shipping date is sometime in mid October! Is that normal with this thing?