Thread: New Rikon Arrived...Question?

Talking New Rikon Arrived...Question?

My new mini Rikon arrived today and I have on it's new bench...

I haven't bolted it down yet because I wasn't sure how far from the edge of the bench I should mount it and the manual doesn't give any indication, are there any guidelines or rules of thumb?

Thanks!

Fred

Fred...My jet mini is mounted on the infamous "Diving Board" which is a 2x12 between two halves of a little GIant ladder system.

I would not place too far back.....a couple of inches at most.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Fred...My jet mini is mounted on the infamous "Diving Board" which is a 2x12 between two halves of a little GIant ladder system.

Ken, that ladder probably costs as much as a Jet stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Ken, that ladder probably costs as much as a Jet stand!

Patrick.......I got one of the bigger models.....The ladder cost more than the lathe!
    Ken

Fred...I would not place too far back.....a couple of inches at most.
    Thanks Ken for the input...

I just realized that I have the tools now but no turning blanks...duh!

There aren't any stores such as WoodCraft or Rockler within a two hour drive and I have never purchased wood sight unseen. Can you suggest a reliable source on the web?

Thanks...

Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Conte View Post
    Thanks Ken for the input...

I just realized that I have the tools now but no turning blanks...duh!

There aren't any stores such as WoodCraft or Rockler within a two hour drive and I have never purchased wood sight unseen. Can you suggest a reliable source on the web?

Thanks...
    Hi Fred,
    You might send a PM to John Hart. Last I knew he was shipping out blanks at a very, very reasonable rate.

Congrats Alex! I agree with Ken... not more than a couple of inches. You don't want to be reaching.

Fred congrats on the lathe. I have my lathe 2" from the front edge and it works well there. I also have 160 lbs of weight on the bottom shelf. It don't move. Fred I also buy from online wood stores and have fairly good luck. Pretty pricey though. I also buy a lot off the big auction place and have had decent luck there. I will send you a PM of a guy that sells and is also a turner. His wood is solid. Never have had a bad piece from him.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fred..........If you are a beginning turner, turn anything you can get your hands on........tree limbs.....2x4s......2x2s........Anything wood. You need to get the mileage........the experience and thus the knowledge.
    Ken

Fred..........If you are a beginning turner, turn anything you can get your hands on........tree limbs.....2x4s......2x2s........Anything wood. You need to get the mileage........the experience and thus the knowledge.

Agreed... if you can mount it, turn it! Better to practice on some crappy stuff anyways. I also have a few ebay sellers that I've bought from. PM me if you need a name to look for.

Fred...........I forgot to mention...the best wood.....is FREE WOOD!
    Ken

Ditto what Ken said about free wood. One of your next tool purchases should be a chain saw. Limb-cutting electrics (12" - 16") are fine for cutting blanks. I have one I bought new, not yet out of the box, and several garage sale scores at $5-$20 each. I sharpen the whole collection in a marathon session, so I don't have to interrupt cutting projects - just change saws.

Roadside orphans are a good source of free wood. Also tree services that otherwise pay a tipping fee at the dump - about $30 per ton here in Tallahassee. One of our woodturning club members has a three-car shed full of wood. He wanted to vacate one bay for his car, and invited folks to help themselves. I filled up the back of my Tahoe (3rd seat removed, 2nd seat folded down) and didn't make a dent in his supply.

If you're not yet a member of a WT club, find one and join up; not just for the wood, of course, but for fellowship, demos, and mentoring. The AAW Resource Guide's map shows a few that look like they might be near you (Gainesville/Ocala - ish).

Joe

Free wood is good wood

BUT do NOT turn anything that is pressure treated, you are not going to live long breathing that stuff.

Fred...

All good advice above.

I have a Rikon Midi that sits on a workbench atop a couple of dense rubber pads to take up any "shake" and to provide a level surface. Works great! I wouldn't think of bolting it down.

The "Free wood is good wood" advice only goes so far. I've found so much free stuff from my neighbors cutting down trees, etc. that my wife is now complaining about the growing pile next to the garage. Guess I better stop chatting...and get to turning!
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Fred stability is a good thing, especially if you will be turning unbalanced pieces. I had to resort to putting ratchet straps on mine for one unabalanced bowl blank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf