Thread: Ash Lumber - what to expect??

Ash Lumber - what to expect??

Quick Question fellows:

A freind of mine has recently cut down several very large ash trees and had a professional sawyer (with a wood mizer) come over and cut these large trees into boards. He has board feet for days...I actually think they are growing legs by now Anyway...they are cut about 1 1/8" thick and about a foot wide with lengths of 8 and 10 feet long. They are being neatly stickered and stacked. With no prior knowledge....what is the going rate per board foot of this lumber...it will be air dried. What is it worth in current (wet) state...and then after it is air dried? Thanks in advance for all replies!

it all depends on where you are, quality of the lumber itself, and how well it is stacked and stickered.

I've paid $4.25/bd ft for FAS S3S here in Sacramento. It's not commonly available in large quantities though.

mike

Ash is about as cheap as it comes for nice hardwood. I would say pay about 75% of what you would pay for oak.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Barry...Keep in mind that it takes about a year for each inch thickness to air dry. I had a big ash job a few years ago and I really enjoyed working with it. Machines real nice.

Gary K.

Thumbs up

In western NY, I can usually get decent ash in the $2 to $2.50 range, but it varies alot by location.

Ash can be very attractive IMHO...a bit like oak having a good day. It works nicely too. Ash is also in jeopardy from infestations of the emerald ash borer, so it may become more scarce for a while if efforts to contain the borer fail...as in, it could become the next chestnut or elm. So if there's plenty for both of you, make some nice heirlooms and enjoy it!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Its about 2.00 per bd. ft. kiln dried here in east texas. Air dried is cheaper...but not sure by how much as I dont buy air dried here...its just too humid.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah...about $2bf kild dried. I think AD ash would look a little nicer. But you have some nice wide, long lumber there that would make projects easier.

Don't know what kind you've got, but I have some AD black ash that I kinda like. Has a definite pinkish cast.

There were even a couple boards that had some odd grain that was actually purple-ish.

Only thing I've found that actually went well with Purpleheart!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/boardmanWI/furniture006.jpg

You might want to talk to your local Agriculteral Extention about moving ash wood where you live in Ohio. Here in the Dayton area it is illegal to move ash wood that is not kiln dried because of the Emerald Ash Borer. The western part of Ohio, along I-75 is under the quarantine and they are trying to slow the spred.

call a sawmill and ask what log run ash is a bd ft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Sharp View Post
    You might want to talk to your local Agriculteral Extention about moving ash wood where you live in Ohio. Here in the Dayton area it is illegal to move ash wood that is not kiln dried because of the Emerald Ash Borer. The western part of Ohio, along I-75 is under the quarantine and they are trying to slow the spred.
    Jay where are you in the Dayton Area. I am in Beavercreek
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your replies. It seems that the going rate is about 2 - 2.50 a bd ft. Is this for rough lumber or is this for any surfacing? Also, is this strictly air dried (as this will not be kiln dried)?

I checked into the Ohio Department of Agriculture and they have a compliance agreement site where they mention compliance if the bark and outer 1/2 inch of sapwood is removed from the tree. This is good to point out though...thanks!

Ash Lumber Prices

In Wisconsin (Milwaukee area) White ash is currently is selling for $1.37 bd ft
    for 1" rough sawn at the lumber mill.

Talking 6/4 ash good price

I have some ash that I can sell at a less than"going rate" price if anyone had a need for 6/4. Is kiln dried and $1.20 per foot for FAS, unfortunately was leftover when one of the furniture guys left for China. In Virginia.