Thread: Looking for some help on a Delta 22-560

Looking for some help on a Delta 22-560

Hi Everyone.
    Using this great resource I see that I am not the first one this has happened to. The drive pulley on the cutting head has come loose and I burned up a belt. I contacted Delta and the agreed to send all the parts at no charge ( including a new cutting head ). My question is to those who have torn these down is for now three fold (I'm sure this will get woose as I start tearing into it) 1) How difficult is this really to do? Am I going to take this completly apart to get the cutting head out? and most importantly, after you got it back together were you able to the head back in line with the bed? Thanks in advance for any and all help

I'm not familiar with this particular machine, but I make some general suggestions. As you go in, take pics with a digital camera. This can really help when you don't quite recall which way a part goes in, etc. You can find an exploded view on http://www.acetoolrepair.com/ that may also be helpful. Be careful and keep the parts organized. Hopefully you'll hear from someone who has actually operated on this planer.

Pete

How did you get delta to provide a new drive pulley and cutter head? I have the same machine and have taken it apart many times. The key which fits in between the drive pulley and the cutter head has not exactly worked like it was supposed to. It elongated the slot so that it was not a very tight fit. Also the drive pulley grooves rounded over and so I have gone through a few belts. I finally found a key which would work and I had to use a file to re-define the groves in the drive pulley. Although not sure how much longer the key I have will work. Hopefully for another 15bdft of lumber which is all I need it for right now.

Overall the machine is pretty straight forward to take apart. You may have to take apart a little more than you need to figure it all out. Follow Pete's advice with the camera idea. Never good to end up with more screws than you started out with. Also the other idea I have heard is to take an old ice cube tray so that you have a place to keep all the different screws and pieces. When you take apart piece A put all those screws in one cube...then part B into another cube...etc..etc...

Good luck and let me know who you talked to about the planer and getting replacement parts.

Greg

Thanks Guys for the good ideas.

Greg, I got the idea from here about calling Delta. There is a thread about the same problem. I called Delta customer service, I explained to the lady that I had seen on the web that this is a common problem and asked if I was going about it in the correct manner to fix it. She put me on hold and two minutes later she said she had been authorized to send out the replacement parts. According to her it will take about 2 weeks for me to get them so I guess I'll have to give the shop a good cleaning while I wait.