Plain and simple...
    Ya right...
    Perfect is more like it...
    Be proud...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Modesty will get you nowhere.

Or as my grandma used to say, "Shaddup, ya goon, ya did good!"

There's plenty of folks in the world who prefer "clean and elegant" to "detailed and fussy", me included.

That's a fine piece of work, more than I'm capable of at this point, both in skill and the motivation to learn it and get it done. My hat's off to ya, and I raise my Guinness to salute your accomplishment.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mickey Finn; 10-05-2007 at 8:59 PM.

Talking To All !!!!

I am some what typeless, is that what you say when you are typing and not talking, speechless just does not really fit to well....

Thank you all very much for the kind comments, I really appreciate them all, each and every one of them.

When I say plan and simple it was not really that it was a bad looking box it was just I would like to have put a nice inlay on top and dressed it up a little, and the joints I think would have look a lot better with dovetails.

To answer some questions.

The hardware I got from Rockler, the hinges are the 95 degree type that open up 95 degrees and that keeps the box open. When I make the next one I think I will go with something different, these were really hard to get installed just right, but now I do think I could do it again better.

The finish is just some General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, Oil & Urethane Topcoat from Woodcraft, I think it did a good job but only time will tell. When I put on the fist coat it just blew me away in the way the color just jumped out at me. The picture is after the second coat, I just love the color and it just jumps right out at you.

And yes I am proud of it and I am sure the daughters will love them.

PS: I did add a penny and burnt my new brand into it, another SMC idea.

86660085.fjVAyaHF.PA021846.jpg PA051861.jpg

beutiful jewelery box what are the dimensions. I would love to make something like that for my daughters.

OK, what width of Forstner bit did you use that allows the insertion of a penny? Never thought of that, that's an awesome way of dating the piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCann View Post
    beutiful jewelery box what are the dimensions. I would love to make something like that for my daughters.
    The overall dimensions are, 15 inches long, 8 1/2 wide and 4 inches high.
    The dimensions were arrived at buy the scrap I had left over from the cutting boards but it is a nice size for a small jewelry box.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 10-06-2007 at 8:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Finn View Post
    OK, what width of Forstner bit did you use that allows the insertion of a penny? Never thought of that, that's an awesome way of dating the piece!

It was as big as the penny.....

It sure wasn't my idea, it came right from the forum and there are some others that are really nice. "Do a search on Do you sign your work".
    I really like the idea myself and thing it will add something to it as years go by.

I just got the penny bit from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=coin%20bits

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    It was as big as the penny.....

It sure wasn't my idea, it came right from the forum and there are some others that are really nice. "Do a search on Do you sign your work".
    I really like the idea myself and thing it will add something to it as years go by.

I just got the penny bit from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=coin%20bits
    I suppose I could find a few Wheat Cents from the '30's and make my pieces an instant antique! Eames and F.L Wright got nothing on me! And dang, I look so young for my age! (kidding)

That's a pretty special piece, Bill. There is a lot of value in simple sometimes...please show your work no matter how plain or fancy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a beautiful box Bill. Great combination of wood and great execution. I'm sure your daughters will love them.
    Pat

That's a beautiful box that both you and your daughter should be proud of for many years to come.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Great looking boxes, your daughters will love them.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

The only thing you should be bashful of is the size of the lure you used when fishing for compliments. The box is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I think this is one of the nicest-looking boxes I've ever seen on SMC! Very classy and elegant.

Are You Nuts? Hey... if you want to call that a "prototype" and build another one, well.. I'll take it! I'd like to tell everyone I did it! Ha! That looks fabulous!
    Athens, AL