Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS draw amps etc

TS draw amps etc

Hi this week im about to drop a 220 volt circuit into my garage for a future Table saw, this is down the road a year not sure of which one. I have the electrician doing it for free so I was wondering what the larger 3hp an even 5 hp saws you'll use are drawing for power in amps?
    I was thinking of installing a 50amp breaker but that may be the wrong one to have installed. A 30 might be better suited.

Thanks

Table saw, then you'll have a DC, jointer, planer, shaper, thickness sander, and air compressor running on 220. Install a good sub-panel in your garage with as large of a circuit as you can readily support (say 50A, 60A, or 100A). Then wire up the individual machine circuits when you need them.

You should be fine with a 30 amp circuit for almost any single phase saw you'll likely buy. That's what my MiniMax S315WS requires for it's almost 5hp motor and 1.5hp scoring motor combined.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You should be fine with a 30 amp circuit for almost any single phase saw you'll likely buy. That's what my MiniMax S315WS requires for it's almost 5hp motor and 1.5hp scoring motor combined.
    Thanks Jim, thats what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Table saw, then you'll have a DC, jointer, planer, shaper, thickness sander, and air compressor running on 220. Install a good sub-panel in your garage with as large of a circuit as you can readily support (say 50A, 60A, or 100A). Then wire up the individual machine circuits when you need them.
    I have a jointer running on 220 already, its a garage so there will be no 220 planer or sander in here. I just needed info on a TS , I will be upgrading this from my ridgid 3650.
    Thanks

Table Saw Wiring

Craig, I put in a 30 amp 220 volt circuit with 10 gauge romex wire with ground for my table saw. It was a 50 foot run from the circuit box to my shop outlet as well. I have never had a problem at start up, when you draw 2-3 times the normal amperage of normal running draw. My TS is a General 350 with a 3 HP motor, single phase. I was told this was the proper setup from Wilke Machinery where I bought my TS from. Hope it helps. Your application will depend on what HP and type motor is on your TS so good luck. My advice is do it right the first time instead of going too light and burning your motor out.

7. A 3 hp tablesaw could be run from as low as a 15 amp circuit, but I would not recommend it unless there was the need to use an existing circuit (not applicable to your situation). If you knew that you were going to buy a 3 or even 4 hp tablesaw, then a 20 amp circuit would be sufficient.

Because you don't know what you might buy yet, this could be a case where installing #10 wire might be a good idea. Even though a garage workshop has little need for a 5 hp tablesaw, you might stumble across a good deal on a used saw between now and the time you buy. However, if you know in advance that you are going to buy a New saw, versus buying a Used saw, (some people always want new) then there is virtually no reason to expect needing a 5 hp saw.

Oh, I forgot that you mentioned a 50 amp circuit. That would be equivalent to a 10 hp motor (taking into account powerfactor and efficiency), and you are not going to fit a 10 hp tablesaw into a garage. The only reason for ever installing a circuit that large in a garage is if you think you might get a welder some day. More importantly, you would never be able to fit that large of a conductor into an outlet that wasn't rated for 40/50 amps (assuming you undersized the breaker). If you didn't undersize the breaker, then NEC requires you to use either a 40-amp or 50-amp outlet on a 50-amp circuit.

Also on that note, if you install #10 wire, you can still use a 20-amp breaker and 15 or 20 amp outlets. However, if you install a 30-amp breaker, then you are required to use 30-amp outlets (20-amp outlets are not permitted).
    Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 10-08-2007 at 2:12 PM.

IF I might make a suggestion....wire your 240 circuits as Rick suggested with 10 gauge. I started my shop 3 years ago and am just now finishing and "tooling" it. I work with electronics everyday and decided to overwire my circuits. My MM-16 4.8hp b/s arrived last week. If I hadn't overwired it, I'd be ripping walls out to replace 12 gauge with 10 gauge. I wired my 120 circuits with 12 gauge copper and my 220 with 10 gauge copper just in case............I sure am glad I did! I never thought I'd need a 30 amp circuit but just in case............
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    A 3 hp tablesaw could be run from as low as a 15 amp circuit, but I would not recommend it unless there was the need to use an existing circuit (not applicable to your situation). If you knew that you were going to buy a 3 or even 4 hp tablesaw, then a 20 amp circuit would be sufficient.

Because you don't know what you might buy yet, this could be a case where installing #10 wire might be a good idea. Even though a garage workshop has little need for a 5 hp tablesaw, you might stumble across a good deal on a used saw between now and the time you buy. However, if you know in advance that you are going to buy a New saw, versus buying a Used saw, (some people always want new) then there is virtually no reason to expect needing a 5 hp saw.

Oh, I forgot that you mentioned a 50 amp circuit. That would be equivalent to a 10 hp motor (taking into account powerfactor and efficiency), and you are not going to fit a 10 hp tablesaw into a garage. The only reason for ever installing a circuit that large in a garage is if you think you might get a welder some day. More importantly, you would never be able to fit that large of a conductor into an outlet that wasn't rated for 40/50 amps (assuming you undersized the breaker). If you didn't undersize the breaker, then NEC requires you to use either a 40-amp or 50-amp outlet on a 50-amp circuit.

Also on that note, if you install #10 wire, you can still use a 20-amp breaker and 15 or 20 amp outlets. However, if you install a 30-amp breaker, then you are required to use 30-amp outlets (20-amp outlets are not permitted).
    Thanks Rick and everyone else. Im going to return my 50 amp today and get a 30 amp breaker and a proper plug for the heater im going to plug into it for now. I will keep in mind the 10 gauge wire also. So if you use 12 gauge an I have a 3hp TS then it may burn out the motor after extended use.Is this correct?
    Thanks

10. Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    Thanks Rick and everyone else. Im going to return my 50 amp today and get a 30 amp breaker and a proper plug for the heater im going to plug into it for now. I will keep in mind the 10 gauge wire also. So if you use 12 gauge an I have a 3hp TS then it may burn out the motor after extended use.Is this correct?
    Thanks
    I am not sure I am reading this correctly, but it kind of sounds like you are planning on using a 30-amp breaker on #12 wire. This is not something you can do. As I mentioned above, you can do the reverse of this and put a 20-amp breaker on #10 wire, but you cannot put a 30-amp breaker on #12 wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    So if you use 12 gauge an I have a 3hp TS then it may burn out the motor after extended use.Is this correct?
    Given this question, I am starting to think that you might have your wire sizes confused. The smaller the wire gauge number, the larger the wire diameter. #12 is for 20 amps, and #10 is for 30 amps.

As for my "assumed" intent of your question, no, you will not damage a 3 hp saw on a 30-amp circuit. The circuit breaker is not intended to protect the tool, only the wiring within the house. The tool will have its own overload protected specifically geared toward the tool itself. Technically, if the motor did stall and it did not have its own internal overload protection, then even a 20-amp circuit would permit the windings to be damaged.

I am not sure I am reading this correctly, but it kind of sounds like you are planning on using a 30-amp breaker on #12 wire. This is not something you can do. As I mentioned above, you can do the reverse of this and put a 20-amp breaker on #10 wire, but you cannot put a 30-amp breaker on #12 wire.
    Given this question, I am starting to think that you might have your wire sizes confused. The smaller the wire gauge number, the larger the wire diameter. #12 is for 20 amps, and #10 is for 30 amps.

As for my "assumed" intent of your question, no, you will not damage a 3 hp saw on a 30-amp circuit. The circuit breaker is not intended to protect the tool, only the wiring within the house. The tool will have its own overload protected specifically geared toward the tool itself. Technically, if the motor did stall and it did not have its own internal overload protection, then even a 20-amp circuit would permit the windings to be damaged.
    Thanks Rick, I just bought some 10 gauge for a 30 amp breaker double pull and it will go to a 240volt outlet that for now will run a heater but in future I can change the plug and run the TS.

A 3 hp tablesaw could be run from as low as a 15 amp circuit, but I would not recommend it unless there was the need to use an existing circuit (not applicable to your situation). If you knew that you were going to buy a 3 or even 4 hp tablesaw, then a 20 amp circuit would be sufficient.

Safe! not required!

Hi, my 3 HP saw (General 650) has a 12.4 ampere full load current.

I run it from a 15 ampere circuit.

A 20 ampere circuit would be adequate for any 3 HP of lower power factor and efficiency.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. The most current I've ever used is ripping 8/4 white oak, and it was 10.4 amperes.

I would go for the #10 wire.
    David B

Circuit size

Problem is not during actual running of the saw or other equipment, but during startup when the motor can pull 2 to 3 times normal amperage draw. That is why I put in a 30 amp circuit with 10 gauge wire. Also I had a longer run from the breaker box (about 50') and the fact it is easier on the motor. This is one area you get what you pay for. Is it theoretically possible to run a TS on a 15 amp circuit? Absolutely, but there is always a price to pay in terms of strain on the motor and more resistance to the flow of electricity, more heat generated on the circuit and wires in the wall, plus a potential trip to the circuit breaker box.