Thread: Framing a TV Niche for a heavy flat panel TV

Framing a TV Niche for a heavy flat panel TV

You can call me a lurker here and have found this forum to be filled with information, now i am have unique situation and need some advice on how to properly support it.

I have a TV Niche in my living room and i would like to hang a flat panel LCD slap dab in the middle.

the space measures 35" 3/4 width and 35" in height. my TV is the Samsung 46" so it much wider than the opening now.

I want to frame the front for strength and support so i can hang the flat panel flush to the surface.

I do not know how to do this..........this is where you guys come in

I have attached pics to see what i am referring to.

As for framing 2x3 or 2x4 will work fine...you just need to build it so you can use something like this to support your new TV: (picture from Lee Valley)

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

But a question comes to mind...are you planning on cutting away some of the existing framing to recess the new screen or just mount it on the face of the fireplace unit?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-14-2007 at 9:33 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As for framing 2x3 or 2x4 will work fine...you just need to build it so you can use something like this to support your new TV: (picture from Lee Valley)

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

But a question comes to mind...are you planning on cutting away some of the existing framing to recess the new screen or just mount it on the face of the fireplace unit?
    yes i was thinking 2 x4 and i am not doing any cutting, just mounting it on the face of the fireplace unit.

Now how do i make the frame. I was thinking line the bottom and the two sides and go up 27" with 2 x4 making like a square. then making like a bracing in the middle forming an H so i can bolt the mount.

what do you think? will this be strong enough?

like this.............Excuse the amateur drawings

derry
    Last edited by Derry Williams; 10-14-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Hi Derry,

Here is an image that will help you know what you need to do. It would be a good idea for you to head over to the HD bookstore and consider buying one of their books that describes how to frame. At least read about framing - do your homework. What you are doing is fairly simple and straight forward, but if you do anything wrong, you could come home and find your LCD laying on the ground.

Do not get too fancy and try to drywall this as you cannot bury an outlet or junction box.

If you can't find a friend who can do this for you, then good luck and get moving - this should only take you 20 or 30 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They sell all sorts of arms for flat screens , they do , or should have adquate backing , as in more than drywall anchors IMO.

Heres some photo of one I've done ,

closet turn into TV center,

3/4" CDX ply with 2x4 wall framing.

I took photos so after DW I'd know where my backing was.

Cabinet const.

VG Fir , full extention slides ,

Full articulating arm , I should have made the recess 12 or 15 inchs deep , your looks to be more than that in depth.

One of those arms would be a,good solution to your problem. You could maybe get away with a Satin ply / shop birch paint grade plywood sub back attached to your existing drywall , and painted the wall color , attach arm to that , hang TV simple .

Oh ya completed project ,

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Chung View Post
    Hi Derry,

Here is an image that will help you know what you need to do. It would be a good idea for you to head over to the HD bookstore and consider buying one of their books that describes how to frame. At least read about framing - do your homework. What you are doing is fairly simple and straight forward, but if you do anything wrong, you could come home and find your LCD laying on the ground.

Do not get too fancy and try to drywall this as you cannot bury an outlet or junction box.

If you can't find a friend who can do this for you, then good luck and get moving - this should only take you 20 or 30 minutes.
    Thank you that image says it all, now i know what to do, i am off to HD now to get a book, cannot have too much info to make the project go smooth.
    Lcd Tv on hardwood when you off to work is not good at all

Thanks a lot

Derry

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    They sell all sorts of arms for flat screens , they do , or should have adquate backing , as in more than drywall anchors IMO.

Heres some photo of one I've done ,

closet turn into TV center,

3/4" CDX ply with 2x4 wall framing.

I took photos so after DW I'd know where my backing was.

Cabinet const.

VG Fir , full extention slides ,

Full articulating arm , I should have made the recess 12 or 15 inchs deep , your looks to be more than that in depth.

One of those arms would be a,good solution to your problem. You could maybe get away with a Satin ply / shop birch paint grade plywood sub back attached to your existing drywall , and painted the wall color , attach arm to that , hang TV simple .

Oh ya completed project ,

thanks for your pics it clears up a lot for me and gives me the green light to buy more tools..... me .....my wife

Your project is very well excuted I love the cabinets good job!!!!!

Derry