Thread: Scaned Images to Vector File in Corel???

Scaned Images to Vector File in Corel???

I purchased some wood working plans and would like to know if there is an easy way to scan the paper plans into the computer and then convert them to vector files in Corel for the laser???

Or do I need to import them into Corel and use them for reference and re-draw the outlines???

Thanks Mark.
    Epilog 75 Watt 36 EXT... Corel X3... PhotoGraV...

When you scan in an image, you are creating (usually) a bit map image of the original.

There is some minor differences, but:
    unleash.com (just add the http:// and the www to the front) has lots of tutorials for Corel Draw.

Look for "Converting a Bitmap Logo to Vector in CorelDraw" by Foster.

Could be about 100 video training at that site. Mostly for graphic artist.

Phil

Also,
    this site for training:
    advancedartist.com (again, add the www to the front.)

look for "logo to Clean Vector"
    advancedartist.com/vectortrace.html

There are (were) some CorelDraw videos at YouTube, but I cannot find them now.

Phil

Here's a low tech literal cut & paste approach. I had some woodworking plans (from Wood magazine) for a small project (table top holiday decorations) from years ago that I did on my bandsaw. Came across the paper cut-outs the other day and saw it would be a great application for the laser. So I taped the cut-outs one by one directly onto my monitor and used Corel to hand trace the template. Had to do some sizing adjustments, but it came out great.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Have you tried Corels "trace" feature. I have played with it a bit for making vector based patterns for my CNC with some success.

Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .. Once into corel, make all the trace lines hairlines. Using This method, I was able to convert a couple of scroll saw files from a library book, and make a nice little nicknack (jumping dolphins) for the fireplace which my daughter then claimed and took home.. Never had a chance to make another yet..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .
    IIRC, the 'centerline' option is missing from the (built-in) X3 trace function. The good news is, if you upgraded from Corel 12, the standalone CorelTrace program is still on your disk (or can be reinstalled). The bad news is, if you bought X3 as your first Corel...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    IIRC, the 'centerline' option is missing from the (built-in) X3 trace function. The good news is, if you upgraded from Corel 12, the standalone CorelTrace program is still on your disk (or can be reinstalled). The bad news is, if you bought X3 as your first Corel...
    Bad news as usual... Started on X3

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Scan them to a 'line art' file if possible, at a minimum of 300 dpi. Then open them with Trace.. If they are not line art, you can use trace to convert them and adjust the threshold so the background crud and fuzz goes away.. Then trace using 'centerline' .. Once into corel, make all the trace lines hairlines. Using This method, I was able to convert a couple of scroll saw files from a library book, and make a nice little nicknack (jumping dolphins) for the fireplace which my daughter then claimed and took home.. Never had a chance to make another yet..
    Thanks... I give it a shot later this weekend.

Unfortunatly, when corel does do a upgrade, they leave out some good stuff from previous versions.. I upgraded from 8 to 12, and lost two good functions.. Corel8 paint had a 'open low res' function, and would open your files in 640 x 480 for posting on forums and such. You can still resample, but this was automatic.. It may still be in 9, 10, and 11, but it's not in 12 anymore.. Also, Trace8 had one of the best built in optical text readers/converters I have seen.. Just scan in a text page at 300 dpi, and convert it into digital text for editing, posting, changing fonts, whatever.. Thats why I keep both those version on my old computer.. Ya just hate to give up some of the previous good stuff..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it