Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Systems

Exhaust Systems

Now I lknow I'm being cheap here but:

Doesn't this look a lot like this?

Suggestions on exhaust systems would be appreciated, we are on a tight budget and need to get this to work as cheaply as possible.

Thanks,
    Ricky

We bought our blower from Harbor freight for about 1/4 of the price the Epilog rep was going to charge us.

Ricky,

You can also get a good quality blower from sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...seBVCookie=Yes

Mine was sort of in between those prices, but it's an 10" reduced down to 4" and has plenty of power but is a lot quieter than a typical dust collection system. I got it from Grainger. I see it's gone way up in price since I got mine nearly 4 years ago.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YM41

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Not even owning a laser yet, I probably shouldn't weigh in on this one. No doubt the more expensive one is probably overpriced. But, there are (claimed) differences in amperage, horsepower and weight, and those factors probably say something about the quality differences. Can't explain the CFM differences?? Again, not knowing the actual power need the cheaper one may do just fine.

Ok, say I buy a blower. Do I need some type of filter to keep the debris from going into the yard? Or is there a filter/screen in the machine before the debris exits?

Thumbs up

Eh Ricky,
    Here is my 2 cents...
    Got my laser about 6 weeks ago and was using my Penn unit without the sack. Kind of an overkill so I got the cheepee unit from Harbor Freight and am very happy with it. Has good suction power and is not too noisy when ruuning. I routed my hose thru the wall and have the exhaust unit outside thru 5 feet of hose. The other good thing is its small and only weighs about 20 pounds so I bring it out as needed. I run it straight without any filters etc and have not had any problems with waste materials even though I was cutting and burning some none treated wood scrapes
    Frank Tralongo
    Epilog Mini 24 35 watt, Rotary Tool,
    Coral X3, PhotoGraV 2.11, & 3.0.1

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia " (Charles Schultz)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Gore View Post
    Ok, say I buy a blower. Do I need some type of filter to keep the debris from going into the yard? Or is there a filter/screen in the machine before the debris exits?
    There's really no debris. Sometimes cutting light card stock or paper pieces will fly out, but otherwise just a dark dusty film inside the exhaust plumbing that has to be cleaned every 2 years or so.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Just don't 'suck' through that plastic flex vent hose stuff. It's OK to 'blow' through but when sucking, the inner lining will eventually collapse, and block the air flow, overheating your laser.. I 'almost' made that mistake, but spotted it in time..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill
    what kind of hose did you have problem with??? I use that Black Plastic hose from penn and have been for about two years

Hi Rick
    I went straight to Penn In Philly and they sold me same blower as i got from Epilog for about $250... Sorry i didnt catch the thread on what you were paying....

Dwayne Cook
    Epilog 24TT & 24Mini Corel X3 and what ever works

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Mine was sort of in between those prices, but it's an 10" reduced down to 4" and has plenty of power but is a lot quieter than a typical dust collection system. I got it from Grainger. I see it's gone way up in price since I got mine nearly 4 years ago.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YM41
    Joe, I'm sure you are satisfied with the Grainger unit but it is not quite what I was told was needed for a laser. The difference between a fan and a blower is how much pressure it can generate. Fans have very high cfm but very low pressure, where a blower generally has lower cfm and increased pressure. I was told I needed six or seven hundred cfm at 6" water pressure (I don't have my manual handy for the exact numbers). The Sign Warehouse unit exceeds mine. The fan you are using cannot generate anything near that pressure (it is spec'd at much less than an inch of water static pressure.)

There seems to be a pretty big range in what people are using - I don't know what is really needed - but I am just pointing out that the Grainger fan cannot pump the same amount of air that the Sign Warehouse unit can.

The Harbor Freight unit does not specify how much pressure it can generate, but it is probably around several inches.

Also, fans and blowers are spec'd as to what they can deliver at a specific pressure, but where they actually operate on the curve depends on the system they are installed into. A transition from 10" to 4" could affect the cfm greatly - it is hard to guess what the real cfm is in the installed system. The length of ducting, elbows, transitions, smoothness of tubing, etc all affect the delivered cfm/pressure.

I am not saying your unit is inadequate but it would probably not meet the specs of the major laser manufacturers. Are they asking for too much?

Lower cfm is good in that it reduces energy losses, as long as it is properly venting the fumes.

This more than met the specs of my manufacturer, which was specified as CFM only. Any more pressure and it would blow all the parts out.

Sammamish, WA

Rick - I have the same Harbor Freight blower that you posted. A little loud, but I've had no problems with it and nothing (with the exception of the one cat) fly out.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Just don't 'suck' through that plastic flex vent hose stuff. It's OK to 'blow' through but when sucking, the inner lining will eventually collapse, and block the air flow, overheating your laser.. I 'almost' made that mistake, but spotted it in time..
    Bill,
    The danger in 'blowing' (pushing) is that anything that blocks the line, would cause backward pressure. Blowers cannot overcome pressure, and it would all go back to the laser. This is also possible when the line is not straight and has several corners of 90 degrees.

'Sucking' (pulling) is peferable, especally for those who care to filter the line (eliminate fumes). We use airconditioner's duct pipes which seem to be flexible but persistent to air sucking.