Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" spinny thing. (Gloat)

VSR and Torque

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thanks for the additional comments, gents. Dean, the world is STILL flat and will be for a long time! Well, at least, until I get the bathroom and kitchen done, anyway!
    Kent, I no longer have any fireplaces/woodburners, but you're still right. Many of my friends are usually quite happy when I get a new WW tool. They'll be ecstatic about THIS one!
    Dale, you're right: I *need* any and all the lessons I can get! That's one of the reasons I got this beast...It's heavy-duty and will break me long before I break it!
    Terry, that Stubby is one helluva' unit! Way, WAY out of my price league, so I'll have to make due with the Vega. 'Course, like I iterated in the above comment, it's a far more capable machine than anything I can throw at it, so it should last me the rest of my life. It'll take up to a 24" blank and, depending on which of the two pulley positions the belt is on, the VSR will take the rpm's down to the single digits without torque loss.
    John,
    Ain't that there VSR and low-end torque sweet? I'm jealous of both YOUR lathe AND mine. Personally, I only have ONE speed, "Slow Turtle" . In addition, I don't have any torque on ANY end.

I'm glad to hear that you FINALLY stood up for your manhood and bought yourself a REAL lathe. Maybe now you can quit hiding behind that phoney mustache you paste on every morning and explain to "Honey-Do" that turning is more important than eating in a new kitchen. Then again, you could probably swap the lathe for a real nice shovel to dig your own grave!?

CONGRATS -- AGAIN!!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Thanks for the information... It does sound like the weaker dollar is starting to have an effect... Perhaps the foundries can start back up
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

John, Just went back and saw this post. Excellent, nice going -congratulations. Although my lathe is not a Vega, I have a Vega duplicator. In addition to a well engineered product, I have found their customer service outstanding. -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Inniss
    John, Just went back and saw this post. Excellent, nice going -congratulations. Although my lathe is not a Vega, I have a Vega duplicator. In addition to a well engineered product, I have found their customer service outstanding. -Steve
    Thanks Steve! Yes, it's a heavy-duty unit, built like a brick Schmidtthouse! You're right about their CS, too. I didn't get a manual with it, and one of the handles was bent out of wack. After sending them an email, one of the guys simply wrote his 800 number & ext. down and said to call. I ordered the part, some touch-up paint and the manual. All at my doorstep two days later! That's pretty good, I'd say.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Oh, I did a search and found it.

Impressions after using it a while??

Mark