Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to secure air cleaner to ceiling? (w/pic)

How to secure air cleaner to ceiling? (w/pic)

Hello everyone,

I am still in the process of setting up my new shop at the new house. Yesterday I hung the new air cleaner. I used chain that has an overkill factor of about 16x, 100lbs hanging from four chains rated for 400+ lbs. I have the hook eyes screwed into the joists/trusses in the ceiling.

My concern is for the little "turnbuckles" I used. I am not sure if I used the correct ones. They look like little horse shoes with a rod that passes through a hole in one end and screws into a threaded hole on the other side. I am worried that if anything comes loose I will have a 100 box of steel come crashing down.

I was thinking adding aircraft cable with crimped ends to act as a backup should one of the little chain to eye bolt connectors fail.

How do most people hang their air cleaners?

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Hey looks just like mine. I used those "S" shaped hooks."
    Gary

Dave, I have one of those locking loops like you describe holding up the second floor of my shop, more or less ...I like them much better than "s" hooks. And remember you have four of them splitting the load.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One additional thought is, if there is living space above or if the vibration of the unit transfers to the ceiling and is noisy in the shop, I've seen a nifty solution (in a magazine some time ago).

A user left the chains in place, but placed strong bungee type cords between the ceiling and air cleaner such that the chains were slightly slackened and the weight was carried by the rubber bands. If the rubber fails, the chain grabs the unit. But in normal use, the rubber provides some vibration dampening.

David, the chain connectors you used are usually drop forged steel. Depending on what size of chain you used, you should use that size in a chain connector also and you should be fine. Maybe locktite the threads if your really concerned about them comeing unscrewed. As far as isolating vibration I may have found a solution. If I would go with this type of isolated suspension mount I would think the chains would have to hang straight down, I'm not sure how they would work on a angled chain. http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Products4.htm
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 11-18-2007 at 3:34 PM.

air filter

David,

I agree with Chuck on the loc-tite.
    However if you have concerns, install a secondary saftey system.
    Better peace of mind.

Let us know what you did.

Roy

Nice Start

David, I recently put up the large Jet air handler unit using the four bolt mount tabs that came with the machine. One of my concerns was to keep it as high up as possible. I went with a 1" birch plywood strong back screwed to three joists to spread the weight. I used extra fender flat washers and a rubber washer on each side of each connection to cushion the connection with four #10 x 4" screws per joist. Along with the carriage bolts mounted hanging down to the mounting clips with the same double washer and rubber washer set up. I also double nutted the bottom most nuts and a touch of lock-tight. On the high speed setting I can't hear a thing (from the air handler) coming through the floor upstairs.

Uni Strut

If your worried about the chains holding try Home Depot for some Uni strut channel with allthread.
    Last edited by Chris Zenda; 11-18-2007 at 4:54 PM. Reason: spelling

You're only talking about 25# per connecter. It's more than adequate. Dick B.

Seems to perhaps not be a turnbuckle but a clevis at the top of the chain, but the picture is rather low resolution [even enlarged it, but not much help]. If the pin is the diameter of the metal rod that makes the links in the chain, you should be fine. I do agree, and would rather emphasize, that you apply loctite to the threads on the pin. If one lets go, you probably have embarassment; if another goes, you might have trouble, but then again, those chains are strong. But, whatever, nice setup. However, how deep did you screw those screw eyes?

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Move on to another project.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Due to light fixtures, attic access, cabinets, etc., I was limited to where I could mount mine. About the only place available was directly above the door runners. I used ¼ -20 all thread through Unistrut bars in the attic. I made a simple cardboard template to locate everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Plan on doing mine the same way. I have 4 of them to hang up.

Clevis's are fine. Just tighten them up.
    I plan on using S hooks

I use Sammy connectors into joists and threaded rod to the unit.

http://www.sammysuperscrew.com/

My ceiling is so low, I "hang it" on a table off to the side of the shop.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome