Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blum Tandem slides

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hingle View Post
    I couldn't tell from the info at the link, but are these full extension slides? Any over travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    I couldn't tell from the info at the link, but are these full extension slides? Any over travel?

I think they are full extension, but not over extension.

sb

Stephen's right - full extension but not overtravel. I have not used these so I'm not sure of the quality but I have used the ball bearing slides and the quality is fantastic.
    Lee

Page #272

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    Ed: Can you steer me to the ones you get. It looks like I would have to search the entire catalog.

Thanks

sb
    Page #272

Ed

I used them in this vanity:

You can see them on the two drawers with broken fronts.

I like that they are "invisible".

I don't like their cost; they are heavy, and be sure keep your fingers out of the way when they self-close as they pull the drawer shut very fast and hard.

HTH,

Phil Hudak

7. My customers really love the soft closing feature...even on the door hinges. I remember the first time I saw a pair being demonstrated, we just couldn't keep from pulling the drawer box out one more time...

If you dado the bottoms on your drawers already the slide is easy to adapt to as it requires a 1/2" recessed bottom.

I agree that the two part install kit is a must. One part is a block for locating the hardware attachment points and the other part consists of depth stop collars.

One thing to keep in mind is that there (at least with the Blum line) are not a huge selection of depths to choose from. 21",18",15" and 12"

Hey my first post.....I hope it made sense

phil, what happened to those drawers? lovely finish BTW.

phil, what happened to those drawers?
    I was making the platform/toekick for the vanity (which was completely finished and ready for installation).

It was July 4th, so I was in a hurry to join festivities. The vanity was sitting on the assembly table as you see in the pic. I needed just a little more room on the table to assemble the toe kick...and I pushed the vanity right off of the table onto the floor.

Sigh. Thankfully, it was completely covered with the padded moving blanket, so the damage was fixable.

lovely finish BTW.
    Thanks for the kind words; my first foray into water-based dyes. The drawers on the right look darker because of the light, btw.

Phil Hudak

That is an attractive vanity. I assume the Blum slides had nothing to do with the broken doors.

Are the Blums difficult to install? In a perfect world would you have them in your kitchen?

Thanks

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    That is an attractive vanity. I assume the Blum slides had nothing to do with the broken doors.

Are the Blums difficult to install? In a perfect world would you have them in your kitchen?

Thanks

sb
    No, the particular make and style of slides weren't a factor; the vanity actually was stopped from making it to the floor by my planar stand. The drawers then shot-out, and hit the floor.

The slides were very easy to install - easier than side-mount. Definitely would put them in my kitchen.

HTH,

Phil Hudak

phil, what a heartbreaker about your lovely vanity! what water based dye did you use, BTW? i've been wanting to learn how to apply dyes/stains just to try something different.

use them and love them. They come in 75% extension and full extension (plus a few other odd ones I believe. In addition they have funky corner drawers, which rock... I installed one in my kitchen, rather it's in the cabinet that will go in the corner in my kitchen (EXPENSIVE bugger though, be prepared for serious sticker shock on the blumotion corner unit).

Tools are a requirement and speed things up nicely.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    phil, what a heartbreaker about your lovely vanity! what water based dye did you use, BTW? i've been wanting to learn how to apply dyes/stains just to try something different.
    Yeah, I just stood there in disbelief and almost cried. But, I realized that I was actually very lucky, as the damage could be fixed. If the face frame or exposed panel on the right end would have taken the hit, the whole thing would have been firewood.

Anyways, as far as the finish, my wife wanted it to have a Tuscan-antique look. I had always used shellac on maple before and never had tried coloring. Knowing that maple was prone to blotching, it was time to experiment.

I tried *everything* in all combos - spit coat of shellac, gel stains, wiping dyes, etc. - it was a veritable chemistry lab in my shop for a while.

After a couple of weeks of nightly scrap testing, I found that spraying water-based Transtint dyes worked best by far.

Here is the complete finish schedule:

1) Raise the grain and sand with 320.

2) Mixture of Transtint Golden Brown and Honey Amber in water, sprayed.

3) Very light coat of BLO. Let cure for a couple of days.

4) Two coats of dewaxed Extra Pale Shellac, sprayed.

5) Lightly sand with 320.

6) Three coats Target USL, semi-gloss, sprayed.

Give it a shot.

Phil Hudak

I watched the DVD "Cabinetmaking Made Easy" by Marc Sommerfeld this evening. After watching that, it becomes evident that the Blumotion slides are very high quality.

I noticed Marc uses a "Katie" dovetail jig which looks very much like the Gifkins dovetail jig from down under.

I wonder if anyone cares to indicate which is better, the "katie" or the Gifkins. They look almost identical from what I can see.

Looks like the Blum undermounts are the best or next to the best. Doesn't look like installation is real difficult either.

sb