Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Ugliest Piece of Furniture Norm Has Made?

What is Ugliest Piece of Furniture Norm Has Made?

I was watching a re-run of NYW with Norm making "Cowboy Furniture" he found in Wyoming. I think it is the ugliest piece he's ever made. I wonder if there is enough interest on the Creek to take a poll and see what people think. If you will post to this thread nominating a piece you think the ugliest I'll set up a poll to check the opinion of others.

If you want to nominate the nicest piece also, we can run a poll on that.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I didn't see Norm making cowboy furniture but I looked at the thread here on SMC that had a photo of the Nanny Rocker on it and think it is one of the nicest pieces I have seen in a while.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman View Post
    I was watching a re-run of NYW with Norm making "Cowboy Furniture" he found in Wyoming. I think it is the ugliest piece he's ever made. I wonder if there is enough interest on the Creek to take a poll and see what people think. If you will post to this thread nominating a piece you think the ugliest I'll set up a poll to check the opinion of others.

If you want to nominate the nicest piece also, we can run a poll on that.
    LOL.....Carl, before I even opened up the thread to see the response to your question, I was thinking..."Cowboy Furniture". I loved that episode, only for the tour we got of that awesome house in the mountains, but HOLY COW, was that piece bad!!!

To each his own, I suppose....

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Yes, yes, yes, that coyboy thing he built. I think he keep's one, and the Morash's get the other. Wonder were in their homes these went?

Oh yeah, the nicest was the highboy.

This one ?

Really the mark of a good builder / craftsman's is to be able to build what the client wants and build it well. design is a whole other matter.

That piece looks well made , the style is what it is , beautiful to some , ugly as sin to others.

This door is nice , although the panels , to me , are to dark and the bottom rail should have been wider than the center rail .

But that step up appears to be at least 8" , more than likely more ( about 9 ") to the sill , but of course Norm didn't build the landing , more than likely didn't have much say in the steps height , he should have , as it's way to big a step. Poor Grandma will have a hard time with that one .

Can't say I like the design on this dry sink either ,

those flat 3/8 (it appears) lip doors will warp and the center rail is to wide.

But again the workmanship is fine .

This one would be my vote for ugliest,

But of course the original piece that was copied here sold for close to 3 MILLION so what do I know
    Again the work it self looks well done, I just don't like the pieces design.

I saw a rerun of what must have been a very early show. Norm looked postively young. He built a corner cabinet which he said was "early American" -- that's as specific as he got. He made it from pine and MDF. He put it together with glue and and lots of brads. He made no allowance for the difference in expansion rate between the lumber and the MDF. He finished it with milk paint. He went on and on about milk paint, like he had just learned about it. All in all, it was a pretty amateurish effort.

Sheesh. That cowboy piece is ugly. I must have missed that episode. Looks like something you'd buy at the gift shop at some western themed tourist trap.
    Use the fence Luke

9. I'm not a big Norm fan.

There are lots of people who have their hands on the work during the course of taping and he's the frontman.

Show biz.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

I'm not much of a fan of this one. Something about the proportions bothers me. The width vs. height and especially the top door width seem wrong. Though I have to admit in this pic it looks better than when I watched the show.
    Personally, I thought the cowboy thing was pretty neat. But, I agree he didn't pick the nicest piece in the joint.

Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    I'm not a big Norm fan.

There are lots of people who have their hands on the work during the course of taping and he's the frontman.

Show biz.

Not on the New Yankee, it's all Norm , all the time , or so they say.

Yes they may have a camera crew guy help him move a heavy object , just like we have a friend, co worker or neighbor help move something , but the building / cutting etc is all Norm according to everything I've read or heard. They could be lying , I've never met Norm or been on-site / in his shop when he worked or filmed, maybe you have better Intel?

On TOH that may be some what true as they contract out almost all the work either to Silva Bros. or a general contractor in the area they are filming in. So some of that may be setup work , can say for sure.

When I watch his show I am always amazed at the tool resourses he has. I know sponsors load him down with tools. I mean seriously, is there anything his shop doesn't have?

I will admit as well, that cowboy peice is love it or hate it. I think it looks ok, as long as it's in someone elses home...
    One good turn deserves another

13. Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of this one. Something about the proportions bothers me. The width vs. height and especially the top door width seem wrong. Though I have to admit in this pic it looks better than when I watched the show.
    Personally, I thought the cowboy thing was pretty neat. But, I agree he didn't pick the nicest piece in the joint.

That is a pretty badly designed piece of furniture. But that's what happens when you have a carpenter try to be a cabinetmaker.

Happens every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    That is a pretty badly designed piece of furniture. But that's what happens when you have a carpenter try to be a cabinetmaker.

Happens every time.
    Gee guys, why don't you cut him some slack. I'm sure he doesn't make the choice of his projects by his lonesome. Norm's been a carpenter before he did serious woodworking. Do you think he would be a better WW if he was a baker or used car salesman?
    Personally, I think he has done very good for the last 17 years or so. He has inspired alot of people regardless of skill level.
    Gary

15. He has inspired alot of people regardless of skill level.

That is very true and good for him for that. There is some other wood guy on TV that is also good, but I don't remember his name.