Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nail gun for furniture construction?

I heard a bit of an elitist say "carpenters use nails, while craftsmen use joinery". Well, I gotta tell ya, my nail guns are part of my arsenal, and will stay that way. I guess that makes me a "carpenter". So be it. I don't use a sharp rock to cut up food either. Want any more opinions (he he he)?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I have multiple nail guns. Multiple staple guns too. Many, many hammers as well. I use them all, when nails or staples are called for. The joinery needs drive the need for nails (or staples) or not. Of course, I build more things than fine furniture too.

I like to think of nails (or staples) as disposable wire clamps. I'm not using them for structural reasons, but to hold things in place while glue dries.

Classic joinery does not call for nails. Not every piece needs to have classic joints. Even on classic pieces, trim was most likely nailed on, as were backs and interior, non-showing pieces.

Todd
    Very Well Said Todd, I agree!

Talking These topics are fun to discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I heard a bit of an elitist say "carpenters use nails, while craftsmen use joinery". Well, I gotta tell ya, my nail guns are part of my arsenal, and will stay that way. I guess that makes me a "carpenter". So be it. I don't use a sharp rock to cut up food either. Want any more opinions (he he he)?
    Bill
    There are always at least 2 camps in anything people enjoy.

Baseball – AL (DH) vs NL (No DH)
    Software Development (My Day Job) – Java vs .NET
    Beer Brewing ( another hobby ) All Grain vs Extract

That’s what makes discussing these things fun. I tend to fall in the middle of most of these discussions. Use what works for you. I use a nail guns on projects where it makes sense to use them. This is a hobby for me, so I want to spend the extra time to go pure joinery, I can.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Robert,

Good analogy. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Question is did you use a hammer or nail gun. LOL !!!!

I love these forums because you get to think about the other side of the coin and make the best choice that fits you. It is great to see that everyone is will to share the information.

I too agree with Robert. For most of us it is a hobby, practice your hobby in whatever way you enjoy and produces items that you are proud of.

Furniture makers in the 1700s and 1800s did woodworking as a job, NOT a hobby, life was tough then and hobbies were rare. I am sure these woodworks would welcome the power tools we enjoy today. These tools would have made their job easier.

And yes I do use nails when appropriate and where they do not show. I hate seeing filled nail holes if they can be avoided. Sometimes a nail will keep the pieces aligned while the clamped glue joint dries.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

6. Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    just watch where you place your fingers - i've had nails blow through the sides barely missing mine!
    Just last weekend, I got a 1 3/8" pin pulled out of the bone of my finger.
    Luckily, it was a headless pin . It was easier for the doctor to just pull it all the way through..

paul, don't feel too bad. i shot a 1" brad that i thought was only 5/8" into my finger a couple months ago but i was fortunately able to pull it out without further problems. LEARN from your mistakes. i'm slowly building an ENCYCLOPEDIA at my current rate of errors!

I am not anxious to wander into this minefield. However, the illustrious Chris Schwarz recently published an article (either PW or the Woodwork Magazine blog) extolling the virtues of using nails in fine woodwork and pointing out the prevalence thereof in period furniture....

Prior to reading that, I had the same bias against nailing, but he's knows a lot more than I do.....

Jack

I don't have anything against a nail gun - I own a couple including a staple gun. The reason I don't use it in fine furniture is that I don't like the nail holes showing - no matter how you fill them, to me, they still show. But anywhere else, including places on fine furniture that won't show, I'll use them. I especially use them for quick things around the shop - jigs and stuff like that.

I'm pragmatic - and I think our woodworking ancestors were also. Use what will get the job done and produce the final results you are looking for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nail guns are your friends! But don't like them showing on furniture, so avoid exposed nails when possible (unless it's to be painted, which I don't like but family often insists).

I have about 5 guns but the one I truly love is the pin nailer. Almost no hole showing. Staples are great for 1/4 inch cabinet backs.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Norm the neophyte will remain a neophyte, not to the degree that David Marks is a neophyte, but a neophyte nonetheless, until he can handle a pneumatic from each hip . Kidding...really love them both.