Thread: Xacta fence pads

Xacta fence pads

I have a Jet xacta Homeshop fence. Two of the friction pads (one in front of the locking handle and one on the side that keeps the fence from sliding) have come loose, and one is now lost. My fence is about 5 years old. I tried ordering the replacement 5 pad set XF-3A from Jet, but was told the new part number is XF2-3A and that was the proper replacement. This is now a two pad set, and the one friction pad is about 5 times thicker than either pad on my fence. When I called back after recieving the set I was told the old style set is no longer available.

1.) Does anybody happen to have an old style pad set available?

2.) Any suggestions about replacement materials? I thought about gluing some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper squares on in place of the pads, but wasn't sure how much play in the fence alignment that might impart, or if it would wear the surface too much over time.

Without the pads the fence slides quite a bit, so something needs to happen. Any suggestions are welcome. I am fairly new to these boards, but have found a wealth of neat ideas. I hope to be able to give back someday.

There was a post here maybe 3-6 weeks ago about exacta fence or bies that someone had talked about the same issue as you are having. Their were remedies for this. Hope someone knows what thread it was an chimes in.
    Id do an advanced search in this forum for jet fence, or exacta fence and then biesmeyer at lat resort..

Thank you for the information. I think this is the thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=xacta+fence

In it, these are referred to as anti-friction pads, used to make sure the fence is easy to slide along the rail. However, without them I have the opposite problem--it slides when "locked" down. That is why I was thinking of using sandpaper or other "friction imparting" as opposed to anti-friction material. Maybe the slipping problem is simply due to loss of thickness when the pads fall off, leaving the cam too small to get a solid lock. I'll try some of the fixes mentioned in the other thread and see if they will work for my fence.

Matt
    I had the same problem with my Jet Homeshop fence and now with my Exacta fence.I bought a roll of the same material with adhesive applied to the back.When one falls off I clean the spot up and stick on a new one. I think I bought the roll at Woodcraft.

Tom