Thread: Sawmill????

Sawmill????

I'm currently living in Pittsburgh, PA and need to find a sawmill close-by. Does anybody know of one?????

Just checked Yahoo Yellow Pages and see there are two if doing a search for sawmills:

Babcock Lumber Co (412) 351-3515
    Beacon Construction Co (412) 621-1600

You could also search for Tree and Lumber processing. Another alternative is to talk to some hardwood/wood suppliers in the area and ask if they know a good sawmill close by. Then go to one and talk to them to see if they can do the work for you or if they have another recommendation.

Sawmill???

Give the PA Bureau of Forestry, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the closes one to you being Laughlinton, PA, 412-238-9533. They should have "most" of the lumber mills near you.

Good Luck, Joe

Hi John,

Welcome aboard. I'm about 60 miles north of you. There are a ton of mills here. What are you looking to buy or do you need something cut?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Wink Saw Mills around Pittsburgh

Say folks
    We didn't leave John Miller high and dry.
    I contacted John via email and for those that "Want to Know"
    I get my lumber from a saw mill about 5 miles due north of downtown Murrysville.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Dan & Charles,
    How can I find mills on the western edge of PA? I tried the DNR site, and havn't gotten any hits on sawmills.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Blog Entries
    There are several near Erie. For Finished lumber premium grade try Shetler Lumber 814 796 0303 or Summit Hardwoods 814 796 2695. For rough saw try, Spartansburg Lumber 814 654 7400 CB Hardwood Lumber 814 654 7845. There are lots of little mills too.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi John,

Most of the mills around me are Amish owned. Hickman Lumber is a large state of the art mill with a Kiln located in Emlenton, PA and ship world wide. Hickman's have a website.

What part of Pittsburgh are you in? I don't know any mills close to Pittsburgh. I think there is one near Portersville (north of Pittsburgh on I-79) where a friend of mine bought wood. I'll see if I can find the business card for them.

What type of wood do you want?

I will also suggest you go to Woodcrafter's Supply on Rt. 19 North (Perry highway) just north of Perrysville. They hava great selection of exotics and domestics and TOOLS. They may know of mills closer to you.

Woodcraft in Robinson may know of mills around too.

The employees at both of these stores are very nice.

If you or anyone else reading this thread would like some barn wood please visit me.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Saw Mill near Pittsburgh

Joe
    From Cleveland, it would probably be easier for you to locate saw mills closer to Lee and Charles than to me. I am located on the eastern side of Pittsburgh.
    Although there are several small mills close to me. I frequent one of them north of Murrysville.
    I also know of a mill in Southington Ohio on Route 534 south of Route 422 about 2 miles. My nephew is a logger at that mill. (Wouldn't you know it, I can't remember the name of the mill.)
    Daniel

Oh Shoot!
    I'm not far from 422. With gas getting up to $2 a gallon, the more local a source, the better. If you remember the name or talk to your cousin soon, please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Joe

Just did a google on Southington Ohio sawmill and got a hit on "Doll Lumber". One of my buddies highly recomends it.
    Joe

www.forestryforum.com

Go to Forestry Forum, and there is a map with all the registered members. You can also post a question there asking for a miller in your area. Great site.

Lumber in northeasten OH

Joe
    Yes, I found out yesterday afternoon.
    Doll Lumber Co.
    They may have a website doll.com or dolllumber.com or some such as that.
    Daniel