Thread: Danish oil & minwax stain

Danish oil & minwax stain

Can I use Danish oil over minwax stain. It gos on a white oak mantel I built and don't really to use poly on it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

What kind of stain and what brand of "Danish oil" (do they squeeze danes to get this stuff?)?

Rob

Danish oils are usually oil/varnish mixes. Watco Danish Oil is a popular one. Oil/varnish mixes need to penetrate the surface and then have all excess oil wiped off. But the Minwas stain has a light varnish as binder. It may well have sealed the surface in which case the oil/varnish mix can't penetrate. The end result could be a substandard finish. Taking Watco as an example, it would be better to use the tinted versions to get the color than to try to use it over Minwax stain.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein